ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video cable question  (Read 2872 times)

Russ Buck

Video cable question
« on: October 13, 2008, 12:06:25 am »

We are wanting to hookup a 50" plasma monitor about 150' away from our computer system.  (PlasmaSync
Bethel A/G church
Sycamore, IL

Re: Video cable question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 01:02:11 pm »

I replied to this question on another post. However, I just thought of something else. Regardless of the cable you go with. Run a extra pair of something. I would always run a piece of RG6 it wont cost you much and there are allot of things you might find it useful for. A run to a plasma like that for me would look like this. A piece of RGBHV, CATV (even though I dont like baluns who knows it might prove useful), RG6 and a peice of a microphone style mic cable.
T

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 07:06:53 am »

Russ Buck wrote on Mon, 13 October 2008 05:06

We are wanting to hookup a 50" plasma monitor about 150' away from our computer system.  (PlasmaSync

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:19:15 pm »

Arnold B. Krueger wrote on Wed, 15 October 2008 07:06

Russ Buck wrote on Mon, 13 October 2008 05:06

Is there a big quality difference with VGA and DVI?

Based on desktop work with larger LCD displays, my answer would be yes. However, I find that due to the visual distances involved, etc., a LCD projector as typically used is a little more forgiving. Your appliction is somewhere in-between, but probably closer to the desktop LCD display end.

One thing that is nice about digital is that it is go/no-go. If you get a stable picture, it will be a good picture. With analog (RGBHV) you can have small losses or reflections due to bad choices, and end up with a muddy picture.

Also consider the fact that in this appliation DVI and HDMI are essentially the same video signal, just different connectors. An under $10 adaptor can convert a video signal either way. HDMI line extender and switching products are being sold in much higher volume than DVI, and may be more economical.

Probably need to include addressing what 'flavor' of DVI is being discussed.  DVI-A essentially is the same as RGBHV for video and can be directly adapted, you're essentially looking at an analog VGA signal.  DVI-D is similar to HDMI and is a digital signal.  DVI-I includes both.  So when addressing DVI you have to look at the form of DVI involved, I learned the hard way that just "DVI" does not tell you everything.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:16:44 pm »

[quote title=Brad Weber wrote on Wed, 15 October 2008 18:19
Probably need to include addressing what 'flavor' of DVI is being discussed.  DVI-A essentially is the same as RGBHV for video and can be directly adapted, you're essentially looking at an analog VGA signal.  DVI-D is similar to HDMI and is a digital signal.  DVI-I includes both.  So when addressing DVI you have to look at the form of DVI involved, I learned the hard way that just "DVI" does not tell you everything.
[/quote]

First off, there are actually 5 different flavors of DVI, not 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Yes, you can get into trouble if you try to mix single link and dual link equipment, but that issue is outside the scope of the OP.

DVI-D is basically DVI-I minus the analog video connection.

Secondly, the OP's 50 inch NEC Plasma display has a DVDI-D (single link) input jack. A single link DVI-D cable will fit into either a  single link DVD-I or DVI-D source.  

There are displays and projectors that implement the dual-link permutations of DVI-I and DVI-D, but they are very high end. AFAIK, the dual-link forms of DVI are for display formats in excess of 1920 x 1200.

Brad Weber

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 10:59:43 pm »

Arnold B. Krueger wrote on Wed, 15 October 2008 21:16

First off, there are actually 5 different flavors of DVI, not 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Yes, you can get into trouble if you try to mix single link and dual link equipment, but that issue is outside the scope of the OP.

Check your own reference:
Quote:

The DVI connector on a device is therefore given one of three names, depending on which signals it implements:

DVI-D (digital only)
DVI-A (analog only)
DVI-I (integrated, digital & analog)

Dual link connections are essentially subsets of DVI-D and DVI-I.  But my point was not about single link versus dual link, it was addressing Russ's question of "Is there a big quality difference with VGA and DVI?"  Both "VGA" and "DVI" have effectively become generic terms that can have multiple interpretations.  I think that "VGA" and "DVI" as being used relate to the connection and not the signal, for example I think "VGA" refers to an HD15 connector and not 640x480, 16 color VGA graphics.  Whether there is any quality difference is going to potentially depend on the form of DVI and the signal involved so that should be part of the discussion.  Also, since Russ noted wanting to run the same signal to the plasma display as is run to the projector, if he ran DVI to both you would have to make sure the form of DVI at the source and at both destinations is compatible, if there is any intermediate device HDCP may also be an issue.

Indirectly related, I received notice yesterday that effective immediately NEC is discontinuing all plasma products.  NEC apparently will honor all warranties and sell off what they have, but from now on will be focusing solely on LCD products.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 10:59:43 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 23 queries.