ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good outdoor movie projector  (Read 3347 times)

Kristian Stevenson

Good outdoor movie projector
« on: September 30, 2008, 11:25:05 PM »

my church just purchased an outdoor screen (not sure on the diminsions, probably 14'x8'  Confused ) We are now in search of a good, cheap, bright, high res, high contrast projector. I know its hard to find something like that with "cheap" tagged along. I figured you guys know which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. Heres one I found that should meet our needs: http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-SP870.htm
im not sure if this one will do 16:9 though.
it needs to stay under $3000 though. Sad

thanks
Kristian

Brad Weber

Re: Good outdoor movie projector
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:22:59 AM »

Just about any projector will "do" 16:9, but if it is not native 16:9 that means letterboxing it with a black band top and bottom.  That can affect the projector brightness required as when you letterbox the image on the screen the projector output is actually over over a larger area than the image itself.  For example, 14'x8' is very close to a 16:9 format (which would be 14' x 7'-10 1/2"), but with a 4:3 native projector like that noted, to get that image you would actually be projecting a 14' wide x 10'6" high image and then only using the middle 7'-10 1/2" of that height.  So the image brightness is actually based on the 14'x10.5' image size rather the smaller widescreen image size.  Basically, you are 'throwing away' the projector output that represents the part of the image you are not using by letterboxing.

A major factor for the projector is the ambient light conditions, is the use only at night with no lights on the screen or is it at night but with ambient light from street lights or during the day?  The BenQ projector noted may provide sufficient output for a fairly light controlled application but probably not for daylight use.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Kristian Stevenson

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »

that makes sense. what lumas would be sufficient for a mid to low light setting??

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.