ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calling on the wireless experts  (Read 1333 times)

Eric Chandler

Calling on the wireless experts
« on: September 16, 2008, 09:31:47 am »

We have added three Audio Technica ATW2110 wireless systems to our setup in the last year. I am having intermittent issues with them cutting out for a second or less. Our location is a little unique in that we are on top of a mountain, while this keeps us from having issues with nearby businesses and such, we have a lot of radio and other communication towers around us (one right next to the church).

The desire is to have the systems stay in the rack if possible, but I fear their antennas are getting too crowded. The sanctuary is only 60-70 feet deep so distance should not be an issue.

I'd like to move the antennas outside the rack, but I remember there being some discussion (though I can't find it) about issues when the antennas are moved from the unit itself. Could I mount these outside the rack or higher on the back wall to help the situation?

Though an antenna distribution system would be ideal I'm afraid at this point it would surpass the price of the wireless systems themselves. Should that be necessary for only three systems?

It may be that we just need to keep working with the channels to find one that works reliably, but I thought I'd call on the expertise on this board for advice.

Thanks -Eric
Eric R. Chandler

Henry Cohen

Re: Calling on the wireless experts
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 04:22:45 pm »

There are several issues at play here, the first of which is to insure each of the three frequencies you've chosen is in fact completely clear and there are no intermodulation products causing problems.

As to the antennas, with antennas in the rack there are a couple of potential problems:
1) Antennas do not have clear line of sight to their respective transmitter;
2) Antennas are too close to other receiver electronics which in turn could be putting out excessive stray RF causing RX desense;
3) Too many objects within the antennas' near field causing the antennas' VSWR (reflected energy in this case) to go too high.

Conversely, simply remoting the stock whip 1/4 wave antennas to outside the rack has its own potential problems:
1) These types of antennas rely on the receiver chassis for their groundplane. Without a proper ground plane, the antenna's normally symmetrical omni-directional pickup pattern now becomes asymmetrical in a non-linear, non-omni fashion causing 'hard-of-hearing' spots.
2) Antennas would still need to be separated from each other so as not to pickup any stray RF from another receiver that may be emitted through its RF port.

The best solution is in fact a multicoupler or simple antenna splitter. Without breaking the bank, a very good solution is a couple of 25' lengths of high quality, low loss (double shielded) coax, a couple of passive three-way high isolation splitter (such as from Mini-Circuits) and a couple of directional paddle antennas. All told, you should be able to do this for around $800.00 or so and see a significant improvement in performance, presuming of course proper frequency selection.
Henry Cohen
Production Radio Rentals

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Calling on the wireless experts
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 04:22:45 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.