ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lapel mic  (Read 1368 times)

andrewsullivan

lapel mic
« on: September 13, 2008, 02:53:07 pm »

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on how to make a lapel mic sound better.  It is the standard lapel that comes with the shure ulx package (omni).  Everytime my pastor moves his head it sounds noticeably different.   I have tried everything i can think of and was wondering if y'all knew anything.  

James Lawford

Re: lapel mic
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 05:04:37 pm »

If I remember rightly, the WL93 is shipped with the ULX systems - could you confirm that it is this lapel mic you have? If not, which one.

The WL93 is an omni lav so you shouldn't have TOO many issues regarding placement, as long as you get it nice and close to the source. About a hands width below the neck is a good place to start - centrally on the tie is good, or the pastors got an open neck shirt or polo shirt, the central piece of the collar.

Once you have positioning sorted out, you can start looking at any other causes of your problems.

These may include:

- Inconsistent Pastors speaking voice
- Excessive reflected sound entering the mic and effecting sound quality
- Excessive reverb and/or FOH/Monitor system level leading to feedback
-Non-linearities in either the mic or the speaker system leading to feedback
- Room modes and resonance leading to...feedback!

Getting a bit off topic..sorry.

It might be worth looking at a headset mic such as the Countryman E60, Audio Technica 892, DPA 4066 etc...

If the Pastor is unwilling to use a headset mic, it may be worth looking at a quality lapel mic such as the Sennheiser MKE2 etc...

----------------------------------

If you've looked at the positioning of the lapel and done the best there to no effect, a headset mic would be my next port of call.

Hope that helps,

James Lawford
Birmingham, England
James Lawford -Birmingham England

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:12:28 pm »

andrewsullivan wrote on Sat, 13 September 2008 19:53

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on how to make a lapel mic sound better.

Wanna make a mic sound better? Use a parametric equalizer properly, and you can probably optimize just about any mic for your application.

Quote:

It is the standard lapel that comes with the shure ulx package (omni).  Everytime my pastor moves his head it sounds noticeably different.

That's pretty darn weird. Omni mics are usally pretty insensitive to their orientation, within reason. They are about as insensitive to orientation as it gets, usually.

I'm using a supercardioid lav mic with my pastor, and it doesn't change the timbre of his voice when he moves around.

Quote:

I have tried everything i can think of and was wondering if y'all knew anything.  

Is it possible that you also have a lectern or other mic that is fairly close to where the pastor stands, that is also turned on?

If you have two mics running in parallel, they can be very sensitive to small changes in the distance between them due to the cancellations changing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:12:28 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.