ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: making mp3s with the tascam 222sl  (Read 2805 times)

Gary Sherwood

making mp3s with the tascam 222sl
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:29:53 PM »

Hi folks,
We recently purchased a Tascam 222sl unit. we needed a tape and cd player so this was a logical choice.
Couple of questions.
1) How do you convert the files on the disc after being finalized to mp3s. We put mp3s on our website for podcasting and I have been recording the sermons on a laptop. We purchsed this unit with the intent on recording them on it.
2) Is there a way to have just one track on the disc so the sermon will not be spread out over a lot of tracks? This seems like it will make it harder to podcast.
I am a newbie at this stuff so any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Gary

Steven Barnett

Re: making mp3s with the tascam 222sl
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 02:53:32 PM »

Welcome to the board and I might as well be the first to tell you:

You must edit your profile to display your real name according to board rules.

1) We use Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">.  It's freeware and it does a great job of editing as well.

2) You might try changing the recorder's default setting of "auto-track" to manual.  This may give you one track (or more, if you manually increment).  I'm glad you posed this question.  It forced me to read the manual since I've been using another shareware program to perform a mult-track to one track rip.   Embarassed
Steve Barnett
Lead Audio Tech
Asbury UMC
Raleigh, NC

Gary Sherwood

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »

Thanks for your reply Steve. I have editied it after reading the rules. Duh. I know we hate to read the directions.lol.
Guess we live in the same neck of the woods since I live near Plymouth which is just a few hours east towards the coast from Raleigh.
I have Audacity and have been using it on my laptop to record the sermons. Can it be used to bring the files in from the recorded disc from the Tascam recorder? If so what feature do you use to convert them. Like I said I am a newbe at this so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Gary

Greg Hertfelder

Re: making mp3s with the tascam CC-222sl
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:11:04 PM »

Quote:

How do you convert the files on the disc after being finalized to mp3s. We put mp3s on our website for podcasting and I have been recording the sermons on a laptop.

If I understand you correctly, you are under the assumption that the Tascam CC-222sl records to MP3 format files. The 222sl records .WAV files onto the CD, not .MP3 files (If you look at the files on a computer, they will read .CDA, but that's another story...

If you want to create MP3 files from the recorded CD, I recommend Sony Vegas Movie Studio, which is a Swiss-Army knife software of audio and video editing and conversion. With Vegas, you can import the audio from CD into the timeline, edit if necessary, optimize loudness (with the Wave Hammer plug-in) and output back to CD, .MP3, etc.

I work with Sony Vegas every day in my day job as a video producer/engineer and it works great for most any daily scenario.

Rob Warren

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 10:53:49 AM »

Quote:

We put mp3s on our website for podcasting and I have been recording the sermons on a laptop.

Why not continue to do this?  To me this is easier than importing a CD all the time.  Your audio is already on the laptop this way.
As far as converting CD quality audio to MP3.  I use I-Tunes all the time for this.  You can import the audio and set the preferences as to what type of MP3.  You can custom set to what ever compression rate you like.  It's a free download to PC or Mac.
Version 8 is a bit different than the previous versions but it still has all the functions.  Just not in the same preference spot.

Obviously, you can also use a type of software for your recording that would also allow you to export files as an MP3.  
Something like Adobe Audition would do this.  As well as a number of other brands.  To me, this would be the most practical way to go so then you are not taking hardly any extra steps to convert your recording to a web ready file.

What software do you use to record on your laptop?
Rob

Gary Sherwood

Re: making mp3s with the tascam CC-222sl
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 11:38:08 AM »

Greg,
Thanks for the reply. I have downloading the software and will  give it a try. I realize the recorder doesn't record as mp3s and I was curious how to convert the files it does create to mp3s. Still trying to ge the hang of this.
Thanks again,
Gary

Gary Sherwood

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »

Rob,
The laptop I am using is one I borrow from work and although the company has been kind enough to let me borrow it I hate to keep having to do that. I use Audacity to record with and it does a fine job for waht I am doing. It can export the audio files as a mp3 which is just what I need.
We are a small country church and I am trying to get the most bang for the buck so we chose the tascam for it's playback of tapes and cds. I know the extra steps are a hassel but I don't mind if it will get God's message out.
Thanks for your input and I really do appreciate the help I have received from this forum.
Gary

Rob Warren

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »

I see.  I understand man.  been there done that.

So are you wanting something to convert the CD's later? Like at the desktop computer you may be using to create the podcasts?

If that's the case then I would again mention using I-Tunes for this.

Rob

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.