ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fog/Haze Help  (Read 9059 times)

Dan Alger

• http://www.tcota.org
Fog/Haze Help
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:08:51 PM »

Hello Forum- I'm the new guy here.

We are constructing a new facility and coinciding with the move from temporary space to a permanent meeting place we are starting a new alt-rock worship service.  I mean nothing real heavy, but we are going to be integrating lighting effects, etc as we can.  The problem is we have no experts here and our budget requires we do it ourselves.

So, we are basically wanting to wash the stage with color and are purchasing LEDs to accomplish this.  To add to the environment we are contemplating a fog machine or haze machine so that we can make the beams of light visible.  For those of you who are doing a similar kind of service do you use fog/haze?  We do not want to have visible smoke, just visible light beams.  What kind of gear do you recommend?  Does the haze make the room super humid?  Thanks for your help!

Re: Fog/Haze Help
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 08:54:27 PM »

You want a hazer! And not a smoke based one or a fogger. Unfortunately decent hazers can be a little pricey. I have never had very good experiences with the cheaper models. My preference is a DF50. MAybe others have had some good luck with other less expensive models. I would like to hear this as well because I do not currently own one I just rent when needed but am looking to buy for regular use (Sunday Morning).
T

Allen Farr

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 11:20:02 PM »

Hazer is definitely the way to go. I have had a little experience with a company by the name of Elektralite and they build a hazer and it is relatively inexpensive.

It says on their site that it is a new product and the experience I had was with the old one. However, I have used some of the other things this company produces and it seems to be really professional stuff at a good price so I would at least give this a thought.

Allen Farr
Allen Farr

First Redeemer Church
Director of Audio

www.twitter.com/allenwfarr

David Sumrall

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:23:43 AM »

+1 on the df50 we have one in our 5500 seat space and it rocks. Very fast and the haze hangs a long time.

We bought two but don't need em both as one is really enough so we move the other one around.

It is oil based.

Lemaitre has some great hazers as well small and large, with the radiance being the new big one.

We did demo a newer unit that is in a rack that is water based and very efficient, water based, and much quieter then the df50. Cant remember the name.

I would recommend finding a local production lighting vendor and demoing the units in your space to see what will work best. They could also be very helpful to you in figuring out what else will work to help you with lighting in your new space.

The type of lighting production as well as room air flow may help to dictate what will work the best for hazers.

You will also need to look at control and how the hazer responds to your lighting console. Some hazers will cycle off and on and others will stay on when the console fader is up and off when the fader is down. We run our df50's with dmx power relays to get the results we want.

Good luck!

David
David Sumrall
Audio Engineer
Gateway Church
Soutlake Texas
GatewayPeople.com

Emil Barnabas

• http://www.barnabas.com
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 12:38:46 AM »

+1 for the DF50

You mentioned a stage wash and LED lights. You have not mentioned anything that will truly show up in the haze. You need very narrow PARs, Ellipsoidals, pin spots, or some narrow intelligent lights.

New facilities have more sensitive fire alarms that detect particles in the air. I've worked many newer venues where I cannot haze without hiring a fireman to temporarily disable the alarm. Check with your church. They may not want to, or be able to do this.

David Sumrall

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »

the new one i liked a lot is the base hazer by haze base!

I had to dig through my stuff to find it.

Small, quiet, very efficient, warms up fast.

Best thing so far in our space compared to the df50's we have.
David Sumrall
Audio Engineer
Gateway Church
Soutlake Texas
GatewayPeople.com

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:25:32 PM »

Is that the new one SEAL has for like 1700.00? If so I used one last week for a show Mike gave me one to try along with my DF50 and it worked very well. Although not quite as well as the DF50.

Dan Alger

• http://www.tcota.org
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »

Here is the problem I am running into.  We have a very cozy space that seats around 300.  Most hazers are for large venues like arenas and large auditoriums.  Any suggestions as to a small hazer for a small venue?  Thanks for all your help!!!

David Sumrall

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »

Hey Dan,

You could look at the Le Maitre Neutron.
Great experiences with them in smaller spaces.

Smaller in size, output, and cost then the bigger ones, but still a great unit.

Thomas,

Yep, we did a demo with that same one from SEAL a while back in our worship center.

Yep not as good as the DF 50. But for a water based unit that is quiet and stupid efficient on fluid use its pretty cool! Best non DF50 haze hang, smoothness, and saturation in our space so far! Not sure if we will go that route, but we have been talking about switching to from oil based for a while.

THANKS!

David
David Sumrall
Audio Engineer
Gateway Church
Soutlake Texas
GatewayPeople.com

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »

Just turn down the fan and the flow.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.