ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ON/OFF on Shure ULX Transmitter  (Read 5751 times)

A.J. McGlynn

ON/OFF on Shure ULX Transmitter
« on: August 26, 2008, 10:22:48 AM »

Does anyone know of a way to disable the on/off switch on the ULX hand held transmitters? On the ULX it has a switch that is very easily accessible. Too accessible.

I use one of these for spoken word stuff (announcements and etc.) There have been many times when it is in the stand and the side of the mic with the switch is against the mic clip and as it pulls up it pushes the switch to the off position. This has happened to me at least 5 times in the past 9 months. I know I could tell everyone who is going to use the mic to not pull it out of the clip but to pop it out. But that is just unreasonable for me to tell everyone who will use it.I have tried gaff tape on it to cover the switch but that doesnt work.

I cant get into the inside of the transmitter because of all the plastic. Is there a way to pop off the part that has the switch?

A.J. McGlynn, Technical Director
Grace Church
Erie, PA

Anthony Lim

Re: ON/OFF on Shure ULX Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 11:44:17 AM »

I usually put a little tape there. It's also keep people from turning it off.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Shure power lock
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 12:45:13 PM »

A.J. McGlynn wrote on Tue, 26 August 2008 10:22

Does anyone know of a way to disable the on/off switch on the ULX hand held transmitters? On the ULX it has a switch that is very easily accessible. Too accessible.

I use one of these for spoken word stuff (announcements and etc.) There have been many times when it is in the stand and the side of the mic with the switch is against the mic clip and as it pulls up it pushes the switch to the off position. This has happened to me at least 5 times in the past 9 months. I know I could tell everyone who is going to use the mic to not pull it out of the clip but to pop it out. But that is just unreasonable for me to tell everyone who will use it.I have tried gaff tape on it to cover the switch but that doesnt work.

I cant get into the inside of the transmitter because of all the plastic. Is there a way to pop off the part that has the switch?

You can lock the power switch on by holding down the 2 programming switches at the same time. This is explained on page 16 of the manual.

This same method works with UHF and UHF-R systems as well.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
also Re: Shure power lock
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:10:41 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Tue, 26 August 2008 12:45

You can lock the power switch on by holding down the 2 programming switches at the same time. This is explained on page 16 of the manual.

This same method works with UHF and UHF-R systems as well.

Mac

To add, removing the battery on all but the UHF-R resets the power to "unlocked". On a UHF-R transmitter, the locked condition is still there after a battery change.

Mac

A.J. McGlynn

Re: Shure power lock
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 01:12:14 PM »

Thanks, I looked in the manual but must of overlooked it. I appreciate the help.

A.J. McGlynn, Technical Director
Grace Church
Erie, PA

Doug Bishop

Re: Shure power lock
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 03:30:51 PM »

Don't all the ULX hand helds come with the sleeve that covers the switches?  It goes over the mic before screwing on the battery cover.

I discovered the power lock feature on a body pack system accidentally when a cast member in a program was running around between scenes with a signal showing on the receier.  I told him to switch off his mic...he said "I did but it won't go off."  Had to look that one up.  I suppose if the feature is available on hand helds as well it would be ok to use it.  I kind of like the added protection that the sleeve gives to the switches and display though.

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »

The sleeve goes back to the days of the LX series (maybe earlier!). It's a decent solution, although it's easily foiled by smart actors/musicians/other (lack of)talent who think they need to regulate their own mic.

So far the button combination for powerlock hasn't been foiled by anybody. I just tell the pastor/singer/whomever that I have locked their microphone on, and that they don't need to worry about it accidentally turning off in their pocket or on their belt. That lets them know that I don't want them to try, and that it won't do them any good if they do. Smile

Of course, I had a guy drop a UHF-R handheld and the plastic cover popped off the display and the tab broke, so maybe that rubber sleeve would have been beneficial. Smile Mic still works fine, though.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.