ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Realistic M7 competition  (Read 3120 times)

Michael Robertson

Realistic M7 competition
« on: August 25, 2008, 08:13:38 PM »

Alright, our church is currently toying with purchasing an M7. In light of due diligence I was hoping to get some input on any other consoles that can be real competition in price and feature to the M7. I know soundcraft is suppose to introduce theirs, but it doesn't appear that it will be in the same price point.

What else is out there?  
Don't think twice. You didn't get it the first time, you won't get it the second time either.

Re: Realistic M7 competition
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:02:50 PM »

Right now not much. The Roland V mixer can get you the same channel count plus has a digital snake but only has 24 faders (which I prefer a smaller control surface). I dont think the new Si3 is going to be in the same price category. I could be wrong actually I hope im wrong but I dont think so. Digidesign is supposed to have a console coming out this winter that will compete and should be in the same price range. If they do, it will be great I love my D show and hope they are able to lower the cost without hacking off all the features. Allen and Heath is supposed to have competition coming as well. If you have 6 months to wait I think your options will be greater but if you have to do it now you are definitely limited.
T

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:13:32 PM »

Right now there really isn't anything. After the PLASA show in London we'll have a better idea where the new Soundcraft Si3 is going to fall as far as price. If you mix on VCAs a lot the Si3 looks pretty interesting, it has 12 VCAs. If the Si3 is close to the M7 in price it will be an interesting battle. Till we know, it is just speculation. There is also a new Midas digital that will probably launch at PLASA, also price unknown.

Mac

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 09:14:48 PM »

Which version of the M7CL are you referencing?  Why an M7CL and not an LS9, not saying it is wrong, just wondering what made you select the M7CL to start with?  What capabilities and functionality are you looking for?  What quantity and types of inputs and outputs?
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Michael Robertson

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 10:10:26 PM »

Our church does not currently have a permanent building. We have had a few opportunities to use the M7 when our 01V96 was in for repairs. We are looking at the 48. The most appealing features of the M7 to us are....
1. DCA's
2. 3 card slots (Avioms, extra dig. outs for recording)
3. Fader for every channel (i.e. no layers)
4. sufficient output and mix bus count to take us into the future
5. Ease of use/training for volunteers. I personally feel the M7
  is easier to get around than the LS-9
My only hesitation to depart form Yamaha is that we have a very good local dealer with whom we have an existing relationship. Local support for most other consoles is non-existent and that is a concern of ours.
Don't think twice. You didn't get it the first time, you won't get it the second time either.

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 02:31:50 PM »

If you've used the M7 in the past, and are familiar and pleased with its performance and features, then I see no reason to go elsewhere unless there's a screaming deal on something else. Either something with way more features for the same cost, or something with the same features for an obscenely low price.

There is definitely something to say for familiarity and comfort when you're training and working with volunteers.

You might try waiting to see what the Soundcraft is like, if you have 6 months. I'm a fan of Soundcraft, myself, so I don't think that's a bad idea.

Still, though, for my money, from my experience, and given your situation, the M7 seems like a great choice.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

Michael Robertson

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »

Jeff Ekstrand wrote on Tue, 26 August 2008 13:31

You might try waiting to see what the Soundcraft is like, if you have 6 months.

We're already pretty squeezed. I'm not sure if we can hang on quite long enough, but I would like to see where the new Soundcraft falls $$wise. I have NO experience with their dig stuff though.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 03:10:48 PM »

I dont think you would ever be dissatisfied with a M7 especially if you already have good local support. There are other consoles I would prefer but they are also in a different price range. So as long as it fits your needs and you are comfortable with your support go for it. Remember though 48 ch is it you cant add on past that so if you think you would ever need more think about it!

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 03:45:25 PM »

Michael Robertson wrote on Tue, 26 August 2008 15:02

Jeff Ekstrand wrote on Tue, 26 August 2008 13:31

You might try waiting to see what the Soundcraft is like, if you have 6 months.

We're already pretty squeezed. I'm not sure if we can hang on quite long enough, but I would like to see where the new Soundcraft falls $$wise. I have NO experience with their dig stuff though.

The Vi series has been well received, obviously we don't know about the Si3 yet, but PLASA is Sept 7-10, so it won't be long before we find out where the pricing falls. It may have advantages and disadvantages compared to an M7. It has 2 layers of input faders, but it has 12 DCAs, it has rotary encoders that can be used for aux sends, but they do double duty as the channel strip controls. When the details are out it may be easier to differentiate.

Mac

Michael Robertson

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »

For a normal service we would not be anywhere near running out of space. In the case of a special event/production we can cascade our 01V96 into it, or cascade a second (rented)M7. I don't envision this ever becoming a reality though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.