ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker volume control changes frequency response  (Read 6344 times)

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Speaker volume control changes frequency response
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:41:36 AM »

Several years ago I bought a handful of Dayton Audio passive speaker volume controls with small, tapped transformers (these are "impedance matching" and not a simple resistive element, aka: L-pad) and ended up not needing them. So they got stored.

Recently I attempted to put 2 of these into service and even when full up there is a noticeable bump in HF response on the speakers these are in line with. As the control is rotated CCW the volume changes (not very smoothly) and so does the frequency response.

These have jumpers that are used to match the speaker load to the desired/needed load at the amp. The directions leave a bit to be desired as far as clarity so I called tech support and sort of got my head around how these should be jumpered. But the change in frequency response and irratic volume level changes remain.

In the product description they say "Creatively combining resistive and reactive characteristics into the design, the hand wound autoformers incorporate far more turns than any other manufacturer."

Here is a link to the currently offered device (no difference other than manufacturer name):
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-205

Anyone have experience with and insights into these ?

BTW - I tried several so it does not appear to be a malfunctiong device.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:48:39 AM by Tom Young »
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Speaker volume control changes frequency response
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 10:11:44 AM »

Maybe they have incorporated a "loudness" control into them-like in home stereos.

As you turn it down you get more and more highs and lows-but once you get past halfway (give or take) the loudness circuit is no longer affectling the freq response.

I have never seen that in an autoformer before.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 10:51:39 AM »

Maybe they have incorporated a "loudness" control into them-like in home stereos.

As you turn it down you get more and more highs and lows-but once you get past halfway (give or take) the loudness circuit is no longer affectling the freq response.

I have never seen that in an autoformer before.

Nope, I don't think so. It would say so. Plus the audible change in frequency response happens at full volume (0 attenuation).

I'm going to hook it up to a speaker (here at home) and make some impedance measurements. Maybe measure the transfer function.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:01:51 PM »

I'd also like to see what happens with a resistive 8 ohm load and a sweep. I never liked those things.

-Hal

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:13:41 AM »

Update:

It appears that I may have simply been boneheaded about this.

I have been testing the volume controls here at home and they behave as they should (and very nicely-in most ways). But I am driving them at much lower levels using a small test speaker.

So I may simply be driving them into saturation (non-linearity) when deployed in the actual installed system, where several hundred watts are likely to be present. The volume controls are spec'd for 100W in the specs but say "200W" on the transformers themselves. The only reason I am puzzled (and did not pick up on the power issue earlier) is that, with one set of speakers, I did run them at very low levels and the volume controls still "misbehaved".

Here at home I tested 2 of these and they both behaved the same. I measured Z with a resistive load (as Hal suggested) as well as a test loudspeaker. I then measured the transfer function of the loudspeaker at each setting on the stepped volume control, as well as with the volume control bypassed. These all look good.

I'm going to test further to confirm that it is a power-related anomaly.

And in the meantime I'll attempt to use common, everyday 100W L-pads in the installed system. With a fire extinguisher close at hand  ;-)
Tom Young
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »

This is always the fun part... reproducing what we hear on the bench so we can understand what is going on.

Let us know what you find.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.