ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: clubs, bands, the economy  (Read 13166 times)

David Parker

Re: clubs, bands, the economy
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 06:42:43 AM »

[quote author=Charlie Zureki link=topi

If the "economy" is part of the blame, then, it's more than just the increase in gasoline cost...it's the overall cost of everything.

Hammer
Ahem...  When the price of gas goes up, the price of everything goes up...  It all eventually gets compounded by the price of gas.  Expensive gas = expensive commerce.
 [Chris Davis]

Hello,
  Yes, and that is what I wrote. 

But, I still believe that the poster may be under a misunderstanding. He believes that the turn-out may be poor due to higher gasoline prices.... and while we don't know all of the circumstances....the low turn-out may be due to bad planning and marketing, or terrible entertainment choices.

Hammer

Most musicians just don't get it!
It's all about business. Not music.
The club is there to make money.
[j brooks]

Some might argue with me on semantics here, but those people would not be musicians.  They are performers.  ;)
[Chris Davis]

Hello,

I got the impression that Mr. Brooks was speaking of the club and not the musicians when he wrote " It's all about business. Not Music. The club is there to make money"

Hammer

I'm sure all of the many causes mentioned enter in to the equation. I also know that the cost of gasoline, if one cause is singled out from the others, would of necessity be at least a part of the problem. Certainly, when the going gets tough, the survivors are the ones that are the best at what they do, bring the best show, draw the biggest crowds. All good points to consider.

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 03:14:51 AM »

I noticed about last year and the PM of the large club in town said the same that our market is shifting and acts that where too large for his 1075 cap room where booking in and acts that used to be too big for our 550 room are all over our calendar. Which of course changes our game in a big way. Every other day we've got a Prevost rolling up with a crew of pushy needy guys that aren't always easy to deal with. We got pretty beat up in the beginning but after learning how to say NO more often and rebuilding the PA so an untalented fool could get a half way decent mix on it without melting it we're in better shape. We still hate to say no to people but you have to more often now. Try it with me... "No." "You need to get your band on." "There's no production budget we can't rent you a Pro 6." "That's not in the hospitality rider. We don't care if your support act drank all your beer while you where out eating sushi. Your TM needs to have a talk with them." "We don't have runners, we're not going to get you a movie to watch on the buss." These are things you might need to learn. 
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Tom Reid

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 11:33:58 AM »

A new club opened up, big place, really nice, having bands in. One of my bands is to play there next Friday night. Just heard from the booking agent that the club is already wanting to stop having bands because the club can't afford it. A month ago another scheduled gig got cancelled due to that club stopping having bands, can't afford it. Is this a sign of the times? I know folks have to really tighten their belts when the price of gas goes up, because a lot of the folks around here drive a long way to work. Gas prices going up hold people hostage, they can't get to work without buying gas. Then they have to make cuts in other areas, like entertainment. Also, the extra gas it takes to get to the club. Are any of you seeing this where you live?

Excellent discussion everyone.

Regardless of economy, war, depression man will find a place to get wasted.
Some require live music whilst wasting.

My latest purchases have been mic clips, and screws to make repairs.
I'm still booked about 46 weekends a year.
%90 of that is clubland.
Business has neither dropped, nor increased for the past 2 years.
As such, rates have not been modified in 3 years.

It's interesting I've mixed 4 new bands since the start of the year.
Interesting that the clubs are booking new bands, and people are forming bands to play in the clubs.
ymmv

David Parker

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »

A new club opened up, big place, really nice, having bands in. One of my bands is to play there next Friday night. Just heard from the booking agent that the club is already wanting to stop having bands because the club can't afford it. A month ago another scheduled gig got cancelled due to that club stopping having bands, can't afford it. Is this a sign of the times? I know folks have to really tighten their belts when the price of gas goes up, because a lot of the folks around here drive a long way to work. Gas prices going up hold people hostage, they can't get to work without buying gas. Then they have to make cuts in other areas, like entertainment. Also, the extra gas it takes to get to the club. Are any of you seeing this where you live?

Excellent discussion everyone.

Regardless of economy, war, depression man will find a place to get wasted.
Some require live music whilst wasting.

My latest purchases have been mic clips, and screws to make repairs.
I'm still booked about 46 weekends a year.
%90 of that is clubland.
Business has neither dropped, nor increased for the past 2 years.
As such, rates have not been modified in 3 years.

It's interesting I've mixed 4 new bands since the start of the year.
Interesting that the clubs are booking new bands, and people are forming bands to play in the clubs.
ymmv

it was probably just coincidence, but one of my bands newly reformed finally got back going, and 2 clubs they were booked to play stopped having bands, each of them the week before this band was to play there. They have some new opportunities opened up with a different booking agent.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.