ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions: Choir room playback system  (Read 3496 times)

Hansel Anasarias

Suggestions: Choir room playback system
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:05:48 AM »

Hello all,

Our choir room currently is using a large boombox for playing cd's for practices.  They want to replace it as it is starting to go bad on them.  They want to buy a Bose Wave II system for the room, but I'm just wondering what are some more affordable options.  The Bose is in the range of $1100.  The room is not very large, something like 10x10.  I'm thinking along the lines of a receiver, commercial cd player, and a nice set of speakers (wall mounted)?  Thanks

Esteban Orozco

Re: Suggestions: Choir room playback system
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:19:41 AM »

if a boombox was working on the first place.. why not just buy a new one? now if you want more options, louder and something similar to the bose why not go for something like "Fender Passport Deluxe PD-150" is  $500.. plus a CD player..

Hansel Anasarias

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:34:16 AM »

They want something a little more "nicer" looking than a boombox, and something installed, or self contained.  A Fender Passport would be way to large for their needs I think.  Thanks for you input.

Anthony Lim

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 11:43:23 AM »

For that kind of money, I'd go with the direction you've mentioned.
However, instead of any set of speakers, get a set of studio monitors like 8" Tanoys.
Look at http://Craigslist.org

Most of the time, it's the cd player that breaks so you can just replace that in the future.

Philip Melton

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:45:08 AM »

If it needs to 'look good', I would recommend going with a nice home stereo/DVD component system consisting of small cube mains + 8"-10" sub (Bose, Sony, Philips, Panasonic, etc). Use wall mounts for the cubes and run your cables through wall if possible. The subwoofer could be placed out of the way in a corner and be sufficient for a room that size. Throw in a nice flat-screen and you could have a church theatre! Smile
If it sounds good, it is good.

Hansel Anasarias

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 12:32:14 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I was also thinking of possibly getting a cd player, and a powered 2.1 system.  But it would be nice to also set them up with a dvd player and install a screen and projector to have the room multimedia ready.

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 01:14:58 PM »

The recommendation for the Passport was a good one. As much as I dislike them, they are a very versatile self contained piece of equipment that has a ton of uses beyond the choir room.

If they need something built in, then I would agree use a little home theater system from best buy. However if they just want something "bigger" than a boom box the fender would most likely be great and has many other ministry uses.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Hansel Anasarias

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 01:38:40 PM »

Sorry, what I meant by being self contained is that the unit is an all in one piece.  I understand your recommendations for the Passport, but we need something that will not move, and not used for anything else.  The choir director wanted something a little more sleek unlike a huge boombox.  If we got a Passport we'd have to setup tear down after every use.

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 04:05:08 PM »

Hansel Anasarias wrote on Fri, 12 September 2008 16:05

Hello all,

Our choir room currently is using a large boombox for playing cd's for practices.  They want to replace it as it is starting to go bad on them.

Since many boomboxes don't have balance controls, how did you handle split tracks?

Quote:

They want to buy a Bose Wave II system for the room, but I'm just wondering what are some more affordable options.

Unless the room is small, a Bose home system might come up short on dynamic range.

Quote:

The Bose is in the range of $1100.

Quote:

The room is not very large, something like 10x10.  I'm thinking along the lines of a receiver, commercial cd player, and a nice set of speakers (wall mounted)?

Our choir room system is based on a couple of larger bookshelf=type Paradigm speaker systems wall-mounted, a QSC  USA 400 power amp that was part of some other system in house that had its power amp upgraded, a small Behringer mixer, and a DVD player with a small TV set.

One of the things the director likes about the use of a standard mixer is that it handles split tracks well, and accomodates a variety of inputs. For example, if a electric guitar is used for accompaniment, it plugs right in via a standard direct box.

We're still way under $1100. If I hadn't had the power amp on hand, I probably would have used a Behringer A500.

The room is about 20 x 40, so a boom box is a bit weak for the the application. OTOH, our system is probably overkill for a small room like yours.

Hansel Anasarias

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »

There is a balance control on this particular boombox.

The room is small.  It's roughly a 10x10 as I had mentioned in the first post.

I see the reason for the mixer, but I'm sure they won't utilize a setup like that.

I think I will suggest a component setup.  Receiver, cd player, speakers setup.

Thanks again.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.