ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mixing panned stereo recording  (Read 1295 times)

Dan Kreider

mixing panned stereo recording
« on: July 21, 2008, 03:35:41 pm »

I recorded piano and vocals to a stereo mix on a PC, panning one hard L and one hard R.  i'm using adobe audition to mixdown.  how do i change the balance of piano and voice against each other?  that's the reason why i panned them - so i could change levels.  i can't figure out how to do that.

Thanks
Dan

Jonathan Heimberg

Re: mixing panned stereo recording
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 06:42:18 am »

That depends...

Do you want to change their levels in the recording? If so, you need to do that in Audition.

You can select just the right or left channel, click 'Edit/Copy to New' and create two individual files. Insert them into separate channels in the multi-track portion of the program, and mix there.

You could make it even simpler by selecting just the right or left track and pressing 'ctrl-m' to insert it into the multi-track portion of the program.

If instead what you're really after is the ability to 'mix' these levels on your soundboard when you play the CD back, you do the same thing 'in hardware'.

Run your 'right' from the CD player into one channel, 'left' into another, and you'll be able to mix them.

-
Jonathan Heimberg
http://www.soundadvicetraining.com
Church Sound Training DVD's
http://www.happythoughtsnews.com
All of the Good News!

Erik Jerde

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 08:42:15 pm »

You need to unlink the stereo audio track into two mono tracks.  I'm a logic user, so I can't tell you how to do it in Audition, but if the software's worth the plastic that the CD is made from then it will be able to do this.

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 09:04:25 pm »

Dan Kreider wrote on Mon, 21 July 2008 20:35

I
recorded piano and vocals to a stereo mix on a PC, panning one hard L and one hard R.  i'm using adobe audition to mixdown.  how do i change the balance of piano and voice against each other?  that's the reason why i panned them - so i could change levels.  i can't figure out how to do that.

There are a number of ways to do what you want to to. BTW there are a number of different versions of Audition, and they may work a little differently. If my instructions don't work for the version you have, just post which version you have.

If you use the Effects, Amplify command, it gives you a separate volume control for each channel.

You can also double click the waveform display for the channel whose volume you wish to alter, above the midline of the left channel or below the midline for the right channel, and then use the amplify command to adjust that channel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 09:04:25 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 23 queries.