ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville Speaker Configuration  (Read 2084 times)

Kevin Drysdale

Yorkville Speaker Configuration
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:34:51 pm »

I just got a quote from a consultant and they are recommending Yorkville e210's powered by an AP4020 amp.  Originally he was talking about flying a set of TOA-HX5's with a sub on each side.  It looks as if he ditched that option and is now only quoting the Yorkville system.  My one concern is will it have the low-end without a sub?  We run our services around 95-100dB with full band - guitar, bass, drums (miked for clarity and recording), keyboard and vocals.  Our sanctuary is about 50 feet square with 12 foot ceilings and the stage is set in a corner.  Is the dispersion angles good enough to cover the full sanctuary?  This is our original reason for the upgrade as well as more "full" sound from the band.  Any advice on this would be appreciated as the only consultant we could get to show up seems very unprofessional.  Thanks.

Kevin

A.J. McGlynn

Re: Yorkville Speaker Configuration
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »

Well the speakers are rated down to 55hz. I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in them producing the low end that you seem to be looking for. I also think that the speakers would be a little underpowered. I think you could get some power to those speakers. I would want subs I really push for subs.
A.J. McGlynn, Technical Director
Grace Church
Erie, PA

Brad Weber

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 11:27:49 pm »

Just to get the terminology straight so everyone understands the situation, if they are specifying or recommending equipment then they may indeed be a consultant but if an integral part of what they are doing is quoting on the actual equipment and/or installation then they are by definition a contractor.

The fact that this is your only bidder and that they have significantly changed their proposed approach makes me wonder why they changed what they proposed?  Are there some limitations or requirements that they might be trying to work around?  How they are developing the proposed solutions?   There may be good reasons for the revisions but they probably should have explained that to you.

I haven't personally used those speakers and your's is not that large a room but between the description of the e210 and comments from others, I would be a little wary of the low frequency performance for bass, drums and keys.  The e210 are specified to have a +/-3dB response from 55Hz to 26kHz but it is not clear if that is with or without the associated EP210 processor, however based on the processing the EP210 applies (what looks like an 8dB boost at 70Hz and 3dB cut at around 800Hz) I would guess that response might be with the processor.

Your concerns over the pattern might also be valid but I certainly have not looked at it in any detail as your contractor may have.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Gary Creely

• http://www.steeplesoundavl.com
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 10:13:03 am »

I have always been pleasantly pleased with yorkville products for what they are. I would add though it surprises me that a "consultant" would spec them. To kinda put them on the map they IMO are basically the Peavey of Canada. They are not typically a goto line for a pro audio company, but rather a music store.

I would say running 100db with a full band will require subs, no doubt.  I would say the lack of subs and the use of Yorkville would generate some concern for me considering what you presented your needs as being.
Gary Creely
STEEPLE SOUND
http://www.steeplesoundavl.com

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:11:27 am »

+1 for needing subs.

Also +1 for questioning the specification of Yorkville... not that it can't be done well, I had a Yorkville system at a Bible College, it performed very well for what it was... but again, it was the music store special (powered mixer, speakers, and a snake from another brand in one package). I could tell it wasn't the sort of thing that any professional recommended or specified.

The circumstances surrounding the change from TOA to Yorkville, and the elimination of the subs raises some questions. It makes me wonder if the TOA system was too expensive for the church's budget, and this contractor's second option was a huge step back from the original... or if there was some problem with this contractor being able to easily (or cheaply, for them) provide TOA equipment. Did they lose their profitability for selling that brand. This could be a red flag, or at least a yellow flag, as to this dealer/contractor/consultant's relations with their vendors. Do they not sell enough to maintain their dealer status or maintain a profitable margin? Do they break the rules and requirements of their dealer status? I'm not saying it's a bad company, I don't know the details. However, if the change in system was not prompted by the church, I would be very inquisitive about the drastic change in specifications.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

Tim Padrick

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 02:19:19 am »

The E210 would be a dandy floor monitor, and might cut the mustard as a house speaker with a good sub.  Or it might not.

The default Yorkville these days is the very good U15 (available passive or powered).  The powered EF500 is a nice box as well.

Even with those, you'll want a sub such as the powered LS800P.

(50x50 is a pretty small room in which to have amps blasting and a drummer banging away!)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 02:19:19 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.