ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Effects  (Read 8742 times)

Chris Hubbard

Effects
« on: April 16, 2011, 02:52:56 PM »

Hello All!

I was hoping i could get some expert help on setting up an effects loop. I have been doing sound at our church for about a year now. Long story short; there has been a long line of people in the booth before me. The guy they hired to install the sound sytsem had some sort of disagreement with the church and walked away leaving lots of unfinished and sabotaged work. i am finally in the process of squaring some of it away. I need help with setting up the effects unit. The unit is a peavey Deltafex and the mixer is a Soundcraft LX7 II. i amtrying to rig it so i can turn aux knob on channels i want the effects on.
There is a cable coming out of aux output 6, going into the left/mono input. There is another cable coming out of the left/mono output. Where would i plug this cable into on the board and what other steps are involved? Is anyone familiar with the LX7 II? Thank you and God Bless!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Effects
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »

Hello All!

I was hoping i could get some expert help on setting up an effects loop. I have been doing sound at our church for about a year now. Long story short; there has been a long line of people in the booth before me. The guy they hired to install the sound sytsem had some sort of disagreement with the church and walked away leaving lots of unfinished and sabotaged work. i am finally in the process of squaring some of it away. I need help with setting up the effects unit. The unit is a peavey Deltafex and the mixer is a Soundcraft LX7 II. i amtrying to rig it so i can turn aux knob on channels i want the effects on.
There is a cable coming out of aux output 6, going into the left/mono input. There is another cable coming out of the left/mono output. Where would i plug this cable into on the board and what other steps are involved? Is anyone familiar with the LX7 II? Thank you and God Bless!

Simply bring it back in to a spare channel via the line input.  Adjust the input gain on that channel as you would any other input source.  Now you have at your disposal the channel EQ if you need it and can control the amount of the effect by using the channel fader.  Check the FX unit to make sure that any effects you are using are set for 100% (wet) so the returned signal is all effect and no "dry" component.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chris Hubbard

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 03:38:09 PM »

Simply bring it back in to a spare channel via the line input.  Adjust the input gain on that channel as you would any other input source.  Now you have at your disposal the channel EQ if you need it and can control the amount of the effect by using the channel fader.  Check the FX unit to make sure that any effects you are using are set for 100% (wet) so the returned signal is all effect and no "dry" component.

ok, i brought it in through the insert on the open channel, adjusted gain, put effects to %100 wet, moved fader on input to 0, opened aux 6 knob on mic channel i want effects on. Am i missing something else? Still no effects on mic.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »

ok, i brought it in through the insert on the open channel, adjusted gain, put effects to %100 wet, moved fader on input to 0, opened aux 6 knob on mic channel i want effects on. Am i missing something else? Still no effects on mic.
Use the Line Input, not the Insert.

Chris Hubbard

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »

It is, i misspoke, sorry bout that.

Dan Johnson

• Classic LAB
  • Memphis, TN
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:57:13 PM »

Also, make sure the Aux 6 Master control is turned up to a reasonable level.  Make sure the channel that you are bringing the effect back in on is routed to the L/R Master output (or whatever other output you are using).  If you still aren't getting anything, look at the metering through the signal path and figure out where the signal is not getting through.

Chris Hubbard

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:41:26 PM »

Also, make sure the Aux 6 Master control is turned up to a reasonable level.  Make sure the channel that you are bringing the effect back in on is routed to the L/R Master output (or whatever other output you are using).  If you still aren't getting anything, look at the metering through the signal path and figure out where the signal is not getting through.

All things checked out, still no effects. Decided to sleep on it, probably just missing something simple.

Matthias Heitzer

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 08:16:54 AM »

sabotaged work
Since i don't know the details i can't assess the situation, but i would not consider unplugging cables as sabotage.

BTT:
A few tings to check:
Is the input control of the deltafex open?
How about the output control?
Is the FX channels muted?
Is the mic channel muted?
have you moved up the fader of the mic channel?
Aux 6 is a post-fade aux, i.e. the signal is grabbed after the channel fader.

Chris Hubbard

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 08:01:18 PM »

Since i don't know the details i can't assess the situation, but i would not consider unplugging cables as sabotage.

BTT:
A few tings to check:
Is the input control of the deltafex open?
How about the output control?
Is the FX channels muted?
Is the mic channel muted?
have you moved up the fader of the mic channel?
Aux 6 is a post-fade aux, i.e. the signal is grabbed after the channel fader.

I'm going to try running a new cable from effects unit to board, i'm not getting signal on channel.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 08:10:18 PM »

I'm going to try running a new cable from effects unit to board, i'm not getting signal on channel.

Chris....

As Dan Johnson noted above, check your signal at each stage of the chain.  There are metering LED's to show you whether or not signal is present at each stage.  You will have to solo things on the board to get metering or headphone verification, but the FX unit itself has in/out metering.

You should check:

1.  signal present in the channel to which you want to add FX.  Use the solo/PFL/cue button. 
2.  signal present in the master send of the aux you are using (again, solo)
3.  signal present at the input of the FX unit (LED)
4.  signal present at output of FX (LED)
5.  Signal present at input of return channel (solo)
6.  Return channel routed to mains

Double check any/all mute or bypass possibilities.  And as mentioned before, the aux send for FX should be a post-fader send so you'll have to have the channel fader up on the subject channel to send anything via that particular aux.

You'll get it.......
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:11:49 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 08:10:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.