ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: experience with clip on violin mics for live performance  (Read 7011 times)

mark ahlenius

experience with clip on violin mics for live performance
« on: April 16, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »

Hi,

I have seen some posts/questions in the past on this but not finding any today when I have searched this forum.

Looking for people who have experience with a clip on style mic for violins in a worship band.  I need to move away from a boom mic'd approach for a number of reasons.

Because we have sometimes different violinists, I can't go with a glue-on type mic, but looking for one which can be removed.

Would like suggestions from those who have experience with this type of mic.

thank you,

'mark

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: experience with clip on violin mics for live performance
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 10:42:39 AM »

Hi,

I have seen some posts/questions in the past on this but not finding any today when I have searched this forum.

Looking for people who have experience with a clip on style mic for violins in a worship band.  I need to move away from a boom mic'd approach for a number of reasons.

Because we have sometimes different violinists, I can't go with a glue-on type mic, but looking for one which can be removed.

thank you,

'mark

DPA 4061 with a violin clip or DPA IMK4061 which includes the violin clip and the 48 volt adapter.  The rubber clips hold very securely while allowing easy on/off and no marring of the instrument.

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

mark ahlenius

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:25:22 AM »

DPA 4061 with a violin clip or DPA IMK4061 which includes the violin clip and the 48 volt adapter.  The rubber clips hold very securely while allowing easy on/off and no marring of the instrument.

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

thanks much Lee.

'mark

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 11:37:49 AM »

There are a couple of other options as well.

1.  Audio Technica Pro7a.  Omni "lav" mic which friction fits perfectly between the D and the A strings just behind the bridge.  As a player I used one of these for years and still keep four of them in my mic kit for fiddlers who don't have their own mics.  Very economical and usable. 

2.  Any wireless (or wired) headset mic which can have its boom extended out over the instrument.  Probably not good for high SPL situations, but if your stage volume is under control and the player is more of a violinist than a fiddler this has worked well for me.  Especially good for those players who don't want anything mounted on their (valuable) instrument.  Allows the instrument to be set down without unhooking any belt packs, etc. 

Good luck.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »

Hi,

thank you,

'mark

Lee's suggestion was good.

Just to give you some options to consider:

AMT (Applied Microphone Technology) makes a wide range of clip on mic's for all the varied acoustic instruments. I have used these infrequently and don't know them intimatley. But they are quite good.

I wouldn't rule out the small clip on mic's from Earthworks.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.