ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Live Sound Hiccup or Disaster Stories to Share?  (Read 23131 times)

cory waters

Re: Any Live Sound Hiccup or Disaster Stories to Share?
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »

Working a graduation with VerTecs covering the floor seating and the house PA covering all the stadium seats. 
About 30 minutes before gates: "Hey,  are you hearing the house?" "Uh...no. ?!?" 
We were feeding Cobranet up to the house control room so I follow the cable into the service chase to find the switch it's plugged into is dead.  The housekeeping folks unplugged the cord to vacuum the carpet.  Unplug the Hoover with extreme prejudice and power the switch again only it's lost all the settings and the IT guys are in another building a very long walk away.
We switch to the analog back-up lines (used to be THE lines).
Crisis averted and we open the doors. 
Sitting at FOH fifteen minutes later playing the walk-in video and POP! ..."WTH was THAT?" BUZZZZZZZ! "Oh crap."
IT guys had fixed the Cobranet VLAN so we switched BACK but on my way up to the control room to re-patch AGAIN, I noticed that the photogs had plugged their huge flashes and chargers into the empty socket on the quad box we have the stage monitors plugged into.
I had my guys find him another circuit.  It wasn't a good time for me to interact with morons.
Rest of the show went alright but we paid for it.
Just another day in showbiz.

Joshua Paul

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 09:40:34 PM »

get to a gig somewhere in the southwest - Arizona, iirc.. due to a high amount of presales, a stage & pa were set up outside.  no big deal, but no cover for the stage of course.  but don't worry, there's no chance of rain..

until about 20 minutes after soundcheck, we see some big gnarly black clouds coming our way. 

fast.

promoter's all, don't worry.  we're like f-- you, get us some tarps ASAP. 

someone comes through and we get gear / pa covered, just in time.  a huge downpour rolls through for about 10 minutes.  miraculously, no gear was harmed in the making of that storm shower and the show went on. 

aaaahhhh.... showbiz..

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 03:34:52 PM »

Uuhhh, I never leave home without tarps. I have a place for them in my trailer and they are with me at every gig. Never, EVER trust anybody else to bring you tarps because they will fuck it up every time.

get to a gig somewhere in the southwest - Arizona, iirc.. due to a high amount of presales, a stage & pa were set up outside.  no big deal, but no cover for the stage of course.  but don't worry, there's no chance of rain..

until about 20 minutes after soundcheck, we see some big gnarly black clouds coming our way. 

fast.

promoter's all, don't worry.  we're like f-- you, get us some tarps ASAP. 

someone comes through and we get gear / pa covered, just in time.  a huge downpour rolls through for about 10 minutes.  miraculously, no gear was harmed in the making of that storm shower and the show went on. 

aaaahhhh.... showbiz..
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2011, 04:15:04 AM »

Noting half as bad here by me...

The worst that happened to me was the muso's not sending in their rider and the guy's with the keys with the house mics (me being the house engineer not being allowed to have such things) only rocking up half way during sound check.

With the muso's rider I simply got the producer to call and confirm what they needed on stage, when they arrived the next day for sound check they were all pissed off because what I had set-up was not what they had told the producer in their opinion.

For  the mics situation I asked a friendly muso to borrow me his, considering the rider issue he was really pissed off...

The show went on great, after I had to re-patch half of monitor world to make the muso's happy and my monitor engineer told he he will never be working with me at that venue again because the muso's are rude. Not to mention the set was made up of both national and international touring artists...
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

John Schimpf

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 09:41:43 AM »

Getting the wheels stolen on our van (they were nice)

Police raiding our hotel, people on the ground, guns drawn cop cars everywhere (meth lab, not ours)

Entire PA column catching fire, watching backline guy try to put it out (unsuccessful) while band continues to play

Unpacking and setting up truckloads of stuff that doesn't work

Finding a 4K completely soaked one morning (we just left it in the sun for a few hours and it dried out btw)

The invention of digital consoles

People having heart attacks at shows sitting right in front

I'm sure I have forgotten some stuff.

John

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 09:41:43 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.