ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor World  (Read 2319 times)

A.J. McGlynn

Monitor World
« on: April 02, 2008, 06:54:51 PM »

Ok I want to see what you guys think about an Idea I have had for my monitor situation.

I have a M7Cl at FOH and I have a Crest XRM at monitors. I am sending a submix of the drums to the XRM so that I can fit all my main instruments in the XRM. I am running 5 Mono In ear mixes and 5 wedges. (As far as monitors go my preference is Aviom but some of our musicians have had bad experiences and they are not an option for me at the moment.) The setup I have just has not been working that well for me. I have 3 very different services with 3 different bands and the analog XRM is just killing me at sound check.

So to my Idea. I have been thinking about setting up a wireless tablet PC and putting my Monitor Engineer on stage with it and he could do all the monitor stuff with it on the FOH console but onstage and I and whoever else can still do monitors at the same time. The tablet would also be good for mixing FOH in the seats if I feel the need.

I am just curious if anyone has tried this or knows any flaws with this.
A.J. McGlynn, Technical Director
Grace Church
Erie, PA

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: Monitor World
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 07:50:42 PM »

Since there is no such thing as sends on faders in Studio Manager, I would expect it to be pretty hard to do any real "mixing" on the laptop. It would be much easier to mix FOH on the computer than monitors. If you insist on mixing monitors in Studio Manager, I would also not get involved with a wireless hookup at mons. You already have cable running between the 2 positions, why not just run a CAT5 and have a faster more reliable connection.

Mac

A.J. McGlynn

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:43:28 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Wed, 02 April 2008 18:50

Since there is no such thing as sends on faders in Studio Manager, I would expect it to be pretty hard to do any real "mixing" on the laptop.
Mac

That is a good point. I knew my idea was too good to be true. I am going to keep this idea in my head and I will probably just end up using a tablet to get away from the console.

Grace Church
Erie, PA

David Sumrall

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 12:07:12 AM »

Mac is totally right about the lack of sends on fader in the studio manager.

We've been asking for that feature to be added to the M7 editor for a while and we just got our 3rd one. It would be sweet. Without that running monitors from a PC is pretty fruitless.

You'll need to set it up as a separate window within the editor as well, so you are not stepping on somebody on the desk too much. Then the console and editor can work on two different channels or things at the same time.

David Sumrall
Audio Engineer
Gateway Church
Soutlake Texas
GatewayPeople.com

Gary Creely

• http://www.steeplesoundavl.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:17:38 AM »

So the issue is not so much mixing the monitors during the service, but getting dialed in for each service? If thats the case I would suggest considering an LS9 for the monitor board, as it has most the functionality of the M7 for less than half the cost.
Gary Creely
STEEPLE SOUND
http://www.steeplesoundavl.com

A.J. McGlynn

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:54:06 PM »

A LS9 would not be a bad idea. But I can not afford it right now. We just moved into a new building and we still have a ton of other stuff to work on. But I originally didn't think that the LS9 had enough mix sends. I thought it only had 8. I dont know why I thought that but maybe the LS9 could be the solution in the future.
Grace Church
Erie, PA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:54:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.