ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A&H MixWizard Anomally  (Read 3014 times)

Kevin Drysdale

A&H MixWizard Anomally
« on: March 18, 2008, 10:32:33 PM »

I've been helping another local church with their sound system.  It's a VERY simple setup, but there is one strange thing happening.  The MixWizard has a 30dB pad switch and there is NO way I can run ANYTHING without using the pad switch.  I can plug an SM58 wired mic directly to the input and with the gain all the way down, it is CRAZY loud.  No pre-amps before the mixer or anything.  Is this normal?  We use a Yamaha mixer and with a mic signal and gain off like that there is NO sound at all - which is what I would expect.  Any ideas why this would happen with the A&H mixer??  Thanks.

Kevin

Gary Creely

• http://www.steeplesoundavl.com
Re: A&H MixWizard Anomally
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:27:58 AM »

it definitely sounds like there is something wrong with your mix wizard.  You should not need to pad sm58 unless opera man is singing through it.
Gary Creely
STEEPLE SOUND
http://www.steeplesoundavl.com

Brad Weber

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:41:08 AM »

I believe that it is a 20dB pad but regardless, is this occurring for both mic and line sources?  How are the inputs wired, do they all go to the XLR inputs or do mics go to XLR and line to TRS?  The pad will have to be engaged to use the TRS input or to use the XLR for a line level input.

Are you using the inserts?  If so, then whatever you do there might be a factor.

Are the channel peak indicators lighting up and what levels do you get if you PFL the channels?  When you say it is loud, are you talking what you hear over the house system, the channel PFL levels, the mixer output levels or what?  If the levels actually meter okay, both PFL for the channels and for the output, and this is happening for all inputs then it may not be the console but rather the gain structure downstream of the console and you may simply have to adjust the gain structure after the console.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Kevin Drysdale

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »

Brad Weber wrote on Tue, 18 March 2008 23:41

I believe that it is a 20dB pad but regardless, is this occurring for both mic and line sources?  How are the inputs wired, do they all go to the XLR inputs or do mics go to XLR and line to TRS?  The pad will have to be engaged to use the TRS input or to use the XLR for a line level input.

Are you using the inserts?  If so, then whatever you do there might be a factor.

Are the channel peak indicators lighting up and what levels do you get if you PFL the channels?  When you say it is loud, are you talking what you hear over the house system, the channel PFL levels, the mixer output levels or what?  If the levels actually meter okay, both PFL for the channels and for the output, and this is happening for all inputs then it may not be the console but rather the gain structure downstream of the console and you may simply have to adjust the gain structure after the console.

This occurs on every channel - which all have XLR inputs, they are not using the inserts, and it happens with or without the built in FX being used.  I will be totally honest and tell you I didn't look at the channel meter.  Next time I am there I will definitly do that though.  If by chance their meter levels are in the normal range, would I then just need to turn down the amps to accomodate the signal?  There system is VERY simple.  Everything is sent to the MixWizard, no external gear at all, sent to 2 powered speakers.  Makes troubleshooting easier! Smile  If the meter levels are high would they need to get their board serviced or do you think it would it be worth it to fix it?  Thanks.

Kevin

Brad Weber

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 11:04:02 AM »

Kevin Drysdale wrote on Wed, 19 March 2008 08:51

If by chance their meter levels are in the normal range, would I then just need to turn down the amps to accomodate the signal?  There system is VERY simple.  Everything is sent to the MixWizard, no external gear at all, sent to 2 powered speakers.  Makes troubleshooting easier! Smile  If the meter levels are high would they need to get their board serviced or do you think it would it be worth it to fix it?

I would definitely confirm the levels, it is quite possible that the inputs on the powered speakers just need to be turned down, in fact depending upon the speakers it could even be going into an input intended for a mic.

If you are actually having trouble getting normal level on each console input, then unless they're looking to make a change, I think it would usually be worth getting the console serviced.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 03:33:38 PM »

Kevin Drysdale wrote on Tue, 18 March 2008 19:32

I've been helping another local church with their sound system.  It's a VERY simple setup, but there is one strange thing happening.  The MixWizard has a 30dB pad switch and there is NO way I can run ANYTHING without using the pad switch.  I can plug an SM58 wired mic directly to the input and with the gain all the way down, it is CRAZY loud.  No pre-amps before the mixer or anything.  Is this normal?  We use a Yamaha mixer and with a mic signal and gain off like that there is NO sound at all - which is what I would expect.  Any ideas why this would happen with the A&H mixer??  Thanks.

What levels are you seeing on channel PFL?

-a
"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 08:58:09 PM »

Here's what I'm betting is the case.

Are the powered speakers are Mackies, or similar (JBL Eons perhaps?)? If so, I bet the console is sending-out a line level signal, and the speakers have their "mic" level switch engaged. This is then amplifying the already line-level signal a second time, resulting in HUGE gain issues.

Of course, we'll wait to see what you come back with, but I've seen this scenario before.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

Tim Padrick

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 12:10:29 AM »

Do the faders work, or do they do nothing?  If the latter, the three crimped wire connections to each fader need to be soldered.  (The problem is that the ground connection goes bad, making the fader act as if it is all the way up.)  This is a known problem with earlier MixWiz units.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 12:10:29 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 18 queries.