ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: getting a new system - need recommendations  (Read 19695 times)

Ivan Beaver

Re: getting a new system - need recommendations
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »

Mains, subs and 2 monitor mixes.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2008, 07:02:24 PM »

I was thinking along the lines of non open type DSP's, which would be less expensive and easier to use for people who do not know their way around a DSP.

Thanks, as I was unaware of those units.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Brian Murphy

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2008, 09:56:28 AM »

I've been reading more about the Crown XTi amps.  These appear to have to processing capabilities built into them.  What do you think of the idea of sending the L/R to one and the M output to another (for the subs) and having the amps do the processing?

Would you still prefer a separate processor in the sound booth that is more accessible for adjustments?

Gary Creely

• http://www.steeplesoundavl.com
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2008, 11:03:22 AM »

Crown XTi are good, CDi are a little better for a permanent install, virtually the same amp but they have a few features that make them nicer to install. As for their DSP it is easy to use, but you need to download system architect. The DSP is limited, but adequate for many purposes. We prefer to have a free standing DSP in addition to the CDi/XTi'a, but when the budget is pinched we will use the amp DSP alone.

Limits of the dsp on the XTi/CDi-

limited parametric filters located in two separate locations.
limited compression 3 fixed settings I believe
limited fixed set of tools

My beefs with the drive rack two 260 (besides its I/O configuration may not suit your needs)

1. The configurations are fixed- input output routing
2. with in the fixed configurations is a fixed set of tools
3. limited compressor control
4. limited cross over
5. limited pallet of tools in general
6. IMO they are noisy

There are a number of great choices in DSP's, we really like the Rane RPM series. Rane was a solid processor back  in the analog days, and they continue that linage of quality in there DSP of today. They work over cat 5, and we use a standard wireless access point that you could get at Wallmart to control them wirelessly from a laptop anywhere in the space. They are totally flexible with a huge selection of tools. You basically have ins and outs that you route any way you need, and put what ever processing you need in between.
Gary Creely
STEEPLE SOUND
http://www.steeplesoundavl.com

Gary Creely

• http://www.steeplesoundavl.com
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2008, 11:13:27 AM »

Gary Creely
STEEPLE SOUND
http://www.steeplesoundavl.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2008, 11:43:04 AM »

You should NOT be making adjustments to the loudspeaker processor during on a regular basis.  It should be setup correctly and LEFT ALONE!

The Crown would be one way to do it, but you have ot look at the TOTAL costs as compared to using a seperate DSP and amps.

Also if an amp goes down, you cannot simply replace it with another amp if the processing is built in.

The Crown will give you other types of "feedback" on what is going on during usage.  This may or may not be of any advantage to you.  It just depends.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2008, 01:33:39 AM »

GL2400: Easy to repair.

Onyx: Not easy to repair.  Go with the Allen & Heath.

LS9: Very full featured.

TT24: Full featured, does not have recallable preamps.  Go with the LS9.

A&H vs. LS9: The A&H is easier for the novice to operate.  The LS9 has better channel EQ, more auxes, and you will not need to buy any outboard gear, as it has comps, gates, and output EQs.  Although I wouldn't want to do it, I believe it can also serve the role of speaker processor.  You can save mixes for various ensembles, and recall them at will (you can also back them up to external media.  I'd go with the LS9 if possible.  (Plus, you can install a card to interface with an Aviom monitoring system should you wish to go that route at a later date.)

Definitely Beta 87 over Beta 58 or SM58.  I've never used an SM86 so I cannot comment.  Yes, the OM7 (from RatSound - "Z Stock") will drop in level if the singer moves off mic.  But its superior gain before feedback can make up for this.

I hate the sound of cheap wireless!

Forget the SM57s - they weren't that good 30 years ago.  421s are grossly overpriced.  Sennheiser 609s and their clip-on drum mics are good, though my preference is the Audix D4 (eBay).

HotSpots are useful, but not widely so.  I'd use the Mackie 300s for monitors instead of getting HotSpots.

The DR260 is nice, but you can't go aux-fed subs with a stereo PA.  But since stereo is not important, it's fine.

It seems that few houses of worship have acoustics that are sufficiently tame to allow a reverb or delay unit to be useful.

You cannot pick your new loudspeakers until you have the building plan figured out.  You have to know how far, how wide, etc. etc.

Edit: left a word out!  (Underlined.)

Brian Murphy

« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2008, 03:27:27 PM »

First of all, thanks again for all the help.

Things have taken a slight turn as far as our sound equipment goes.  We've picked up some used equipment and have had our budget re-evaluated.  Given this, we aren't getting a consultant now, but will try and do the best we can.  I'm told that we are still planning on getting a consultant and will try and do the right things in the renovation of the new building (hopefully in < 1 year).  We'll have to wait and see.

Here's the equipment that we picked up this past weekend:

Allen & Heath GL3300 24 channel - GL3300M-824C
- installed in a 2" shock mount double rack on casters
150 ft. Rapco 32x8 snake with multi-pin fanout
TC Electronic M-One EFX processor
PreSonus ACP88 compressor/limiter/gate

We plan on using the 4 Mackie C300 speakers and the Yamaha (can't remember the model #) graphic EQ that we currently have.

We are left with about $5500 in budget.  This isn't a lot of money, so I need to make sure I spend it on the biggest impact items.

This is my current plan.  I'd like to get any feedback on it that you might have.

Crown XTI2000 amp to drive the Mackie speakers now.  It will be used to drive the monitors when we move into our new building (<1 year hopefully)
Two Sennheiser EW 300 IEM g2 In-Ear monitor transmitters / body packs
Two Sennheiser EK300 IEM-g2 body packs.
Six addition ear-buds (maybe the Sure SCL2)
3 Rolls PM50s headphone amps
3 Sony MDR-7506 headphone
ClearSonic A18-6 package with 6 sorber baffles - guitar amp shield -
2 SM57 (or Sennheiser 609s as recommended - I'll read up about them)
plus several hundred $ for cabling and misc.

With the limited budget, I've really had to cut back on what I was thinking of doing.  My main goal now is to reduce the on-stage (if you can call the front of the wood-floor rec center room a "stage") volume.  This will primarily be done with the in-ear and wired headphone monitors.  We'll have 5 separate monitor mixes available.  This should eliminate having to have any on-stage floor wedges or hot-spots.
I'm hoping the clearsonic guitar amp shield will reduce the overall electric guitar stage sound.
I still am having issues trying to figure out what to do with the drums.  I could put them behind a shield, but we don't quite have the budget for a shield.  Besides, then I'd want to mic the drum set and that would be out of our budget.  The drums are going right up against the back wall - there isn't any sound absorbing material on the walls, so I'd be concerned that I'd have to fully shield the drums.

What do you think?  Am I taking a good approach to this given our budget and used equipment?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2008, 03:27:27 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.