ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: getting a new system - need recommendations  (Read 19700 times)

Brian Murphy

Re: getting a new system - need recommendations
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »

The Yamaha 01V96V2 looks like an interesting option.  What equipment, specifically, do you need to get 32 analog inputs (XLR or 1/4")?  If we went with this over the GL2400, is there anything we wouldn't be getting?  Does the GL2400 provide any functions not available with the 01V96V2?

I'm not opposed to the digital mixers (in fact, that would be my preference), but I expect one or two of the people I work with might be.

I'd like to be able to sell everyone on the digital mixer, but in order to do that, I'd have to show that it is similar in cost and has more functionality than the equipment we'd go with using the GL2400.

I've tried reading through some of the available documentation on the 01V96V2, but its hard to follow without having the equipment in front of me.

Thanks

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 09:15:57 PM »

I thought I'd chime in on the mixer question.  I've spent some time on the M7CL and loved it, but for my taste the LS9 doesn't have enough knobs...I think at that point I'd rather stay analog.  Others will disagree.  The LS9 is definitely a little powerhouse, but I just think my volunteers, especially, would have a hard time with having to do that much work to change one parameter.

I know the Allen & Heath mixers are popular here, and I'm sure they're a great product, but I thought I'd throw a pitch in for the Mackie large-format Onyx series.  We currently run our services on an Onyx 4080, which we got for under $5,000; the 3280 would be a bit less if you don't need the channels.

The Onyx preamps sound great - noticably better than the Mackie "VLZ Pro" preamps in the SR series.  Very clean and crisp; the best I've heard in a budget-conscious desk.  It's an 8-buss board, with 8 aux sends (pre/post switchable and stereo linkable in pairs), 4 mute groups, per-channel polarity, HPF, and phantom switches, 4-band EQ, 100mm faders, and a whopping 8 stereo "returns" (limited-routing input channels).

We're loving it, and the price was right.  One of these days we'll be building a new larger room, and we'll probably go higher-end digital at that point (Digidesign if I have my way), but for sub-$5,000, I think the Onyx 80 series is hard to beat.

Justin Rygel

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 05:04:57 PM »

Brian Murphy wrote on Wed, 05 March 2008 00:13

What equipment, specifically, do you need to get 32 analog inputs (XLR or 1/4")?  If we went with this over the GL2400, is there anything we wouldn't be getting?  Does the GL2400 provide any functions not available with the 01V96V2?

The only feature I can think of that the GL2400 has that is not present in the O1V96 is a matrix section (the LS9s do have a matrix), less tangible advantages are those inherent in the difference between analog and digital: more knobs, more sliders, more familiar surface.  

The advantages of the O1v96 are the standard advantages of digital over analog: 8 busses, 8 auxes, linkable faders (think aux fed subs with aux master linked to main fader), mute groups, internal compression and effects, parametric eq.  And biggest of all recallable scenes.  We went with the O1V96 and the biggest advantage I have seen is that the sound is more consistent, I, as the lead tech, have dialed in compression and EQ settings for most of our musicians, and most of the other techs don't really touch them, they just recall the scene for the band thats up that day and start mixing . . .

The most common way to upgrade the O1V96 is to get an eight channel mic preamp with ADAT outputs: I use the Behringer ADA8000, if you really can't stand to put something made by Behringer in your rack there are lots of others available, MOTU 8pre, Presonus Digimax series, Focusrite Octopre series, etc.  BTW ADAT is standard digital optical protocol that sends 8 channels of audio between components on standard TOSLINK cable (fiber optic cable used for home surround sound).  The O1V96 has one ADAT input and one output onboard.  You can add two more inputs and outputs with an MY-16AT expansion card (~$400), to have three sets of ADAT i/o (for a total of 24 additional channels).  You can also use the ADAT outs to add outputs to the board (only a couple of the preamp have outputs also though, I think just the Behringer ADA8000 and Presonus Digimax FS) for running more than just the L/R and four monitors from the board.

Currently my church is set up with an O1V96 and three ADA8000s, for a total of 36 preamps and 4 line level inputs.  Note that the 01V96 is only a 32 mono + 4 stereo mixer, so we can't access all 40 inputs at once, but we can (and do) change around which inputs are being used through the onboard digital patch matrix.  i.e. we have 32 channels hardwired to the stage, but which ones are actually patched into the board change depending on the scene . . .
Justin Rygel
Federal Way, WA

Ron Balsom

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 11:36:48 AM »

Hi Brian,  This is Ron Balsom in Casper, Wyoming. Would it be possible for you to give me a call at Cell 307 262 2138 or home at 307 577 7729  (577 pray).  This is Sunday Probably after 2pm today.  Or anytime day or nite.  Just had surgery so I'm sittin'on my can. What part of Colorado??  Hey, thanks, and you sound quite easy to give advice to and or a visit. This is always on a 'volinteer' basis for the last 20 years.  (well, maybe a pizza) When you call you need to remind me who you are, cause when sound techs. get over 65,they get a little strange. Thanks again,  Ron Balsom  Highland Park Community Church, Casper, Wyoming  307 262 2138, Cell.  
RonB.  /   Ron Balsom HPCC.

Brad Weber

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »

Just a suggestion, but that type of post is probably better handled from several perspectives as a Private Message.  PM is often a better way to handle communication between just two parties and definitely better for providing private information.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Ron Balsom

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 02:34:05 AM »

OOPS! OK Brad, thanks so very much. appreciate that. Again thank you, Ron Balsom, Casper, Wyoming
RonB.  /   Ron Balsom HPCC.

Brad Weber

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 09:40:11 AM »

No problem, I just know that my wife would probably not take kindly to my posting our home phone number in a public forum!
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Michael Shuemaker

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 12:54:56 PM »

My recommendation on a board would be the Mackie TT24.

It's a fully digital board -- at an entry level price of around
$5500.

Being that your church is mobile this could really give you an advantage -- because the board has FULL RECALL so sound checks are
essentially done before set-up is complete. With 99 snapshots, and storeable venues imagine the possibilities.

Also, the TT24 has full DSP for main outputs, all 12 monitor send, sub groups, etc.. including limiters, eq's, compression, gates, fx, delay, and anything else you can imagine.

It has 24 mic/line inputs -- 8 TRS inputs right out of the box --and the capability to add 8 mic/line inputs via Mackie 800r for about $600 each. Total capacity inputs all the way up to 96 channels.

Anyway...just a suggestion -- and I'm sure the 'Mackie Hater's'
can't wait to shoot down this idea.  LOL.

Good Luck!

-M

Brian Murphy

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 01:06:37 PM »

After doing some more research, getting the general feelings of the other volunteers, and thinking about some of the issues, I think we've decided to stay away from the digital boards right now.  We can upgrade in the future, but for now, we'll go with an analog board.

We are leaning towards the Allen and Heath GL2400-32.
With this board, we are also looking at:
* DBX DriveRack 260 or PA (is the 260 worth the extra $500 - several articles on the web suggest it is)
* Lexicon MX200
* Using our existing CD recorder to record the sermon
* use our existing Furman M-8L power conditioner

For the monitors, we are looking at:
 * Galaxy VC hot spot monitors (4)
 * Crown XLS202 amp to drive the monitors
 * Senheiser EW300 IEM g2 in-ear monitors (4)

For the mains:
 * Furman M-8 power conditioner (will also connect to monitor amp)
 * Crown amps (maybe the XLS802 or XTI2000 for the mains - I need a good suggestion here)
     * what is a good amp for the sub-woofer?  Should we get the same one as the main amps?
 * We have 2 Mackie speakers (C300z or something similar - I'll have to check next Sunday - they look like the C300z) - we might be able to stick with these 2 main speakers, but would be open to the option of adding to them (or replacing them)
 * JBL MRX518S - 15" sub (or the 18" JBL SRX718S)

The goal for the monitors and mains is to have something that will sound good in the rec center and will also have a good chance of sounding good once we move into our building.

Microphones
 * For now, we'll stick with what we have (some Sennheisers (can't remember which ones) and Shure SM58's).
 * SM57 mics for instruments
 * We had a few drum microphones loaned to us - so those will be  used for now.
 * Eventually, we'll upgrade to Shure SM86, SM87, beta, etc.
 * Keep our existing Sennheiser g2 based wireless LAV and portable microphone.

Other misc equip:
 * Hum eliminator (Ebtech Hum X or something similar) x 2

Of course, we haven't bought anything yet and haven't fully agreed to this list.  We are still open to any suggestions (even completely ripping up this list and starting over).  

What do you think so far?

Thanks.

Brian Murphy

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 06:16:04 PM »

After more reading, I think we'd go with the Crown XTI 2000 amp and a JBL PRX518S active subwoofer.

I think our speakers are the older C300, not the C300z.  I'm still looking for good speaker recommendations.

I'd also like to get recommendations for compressor / gate equipment for the drum mic and vocal microphones.

Adding to the misc group:
Ebtech Swizz Army cable tester
Galaxy CM-130 sound level meter

Thanks again.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 06:16:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.