ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: connecting mixers  (Read 2505 times)

tradertm

connecting mixers
« on: May 05, 2008, 11:24:43 AM »

I have an Allen & Heath GL 2200 as the main mixer.  I plan to add another mixer, possibly a DOD model.  Could someone guide me thru the procedure of connecting them?  The GL 2200 is already connected to the amplifiers, speakers, etc.  The reason for the additional mixer is the need for more lines for singers and instruments.  Thanks

Dennis Huff

Re: connecting mixers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 12:14:37 PM »

First you need to post your full name in your profile, it is a forum rule.

I'm more of a learner than teacher so I'll let others chime in.

Brad Weber

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 06:05:50 PM »

tradertm wrote on Mon, 05 May 2008 11:24

I have an Allen & Heath GL 2200 as the main mixer.  I plan to add another mixer, possibly a DOD model.  Could someone guide me thru the procedure of connecting them?  The GL 2200 is already connected to the amplifiers, speakers, etc.  The reason for the additional mixer is the need for more lines for singers and instruments.  Thanks

You'll probably get some responses asking why you want to run a DOD mixer into an A&H.  There is some logic behind such comments and I would certainly keep your most important and sensitive inputs run directly to the A&H.

How you connect the consoles will depend upon how your system is configured.  It can be pretty simple for a basic system, you run the main outputs of the submixer into line inputs on the main mixer, but it can get much more complex if you use aux sends or other functionality.  For example, you can't assign just certain channels on the submixer to an aux output on the main mixer.  You also can't solo or PFL a single submix channel from the main mixer.  Your GL2200 could actually support some of this capability but it would have to be in conjunction with another A&H console that supports the GL2200's link functionality

These issues can make a two mixer setup more difficult to operate and you would probably be much better served by getting one mixer with sufficient input capability.  However, I also understand that this may be a budget issue.

If you do cascade mixers with a submixer into your existing GL2200, then you probably want to avoid putting the pastor's mic, lead vocals, etc. on the submixer.  The best approach is usually to use the submixer for inputs that would always be treated much the same, for example as a drum submix or to submix music sources (computer, iPod, CD, tape, etc.).  
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Tom Young

Use real, full name when posting
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 06:07:09 AM »

Please read the rules and then edit your profile so that your real, full name is displayed when you post.

Thanks
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Hojoon Chang

• http://www.hojoonchang.com
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »

If you follow good gain structure in or between both mixers, you will not get any problem on connecting 2 mixers. You can also invest extra channel on master mixer(if available), you can also use submixer's aux for individual monitor or effect, but make sure these are not going out to main mix, only combine with main aux busses.
System Integrator, Consultant,
Ark Media, Inc.
www.arkmedia.us

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.