ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: ALTERNATIVE TO 9V BATTERIES!!??  (Read 32328 times)

John Fiorello

Re: ALTERNATIVE TO 9V BATTERIES!!??
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2009, 04:11:01 PM »

Mike Sessler wrote on Wed, 30 September 2009 21:49

The fact that it's only about $60 belies it's true value.

I just got a quote on the Ansmann charger and it was over $500, so for $60, I'm wondering what the major difference is???

I like the convenience of having the chargers in a rack unit, but certainly not for an extra $400 bucks, especially if you're getting better performance from the maha units anyway!

Anyone else prefer Maha over Ansmann or have any experience with either?

Thanks!!

JF

Stop. Think. Speak.

Kyle Andrus

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2009, 10:32:06 AM »

Here is something we do:

We have a part-time staff member that works at a local TV station. After one newscast they switch out the batteries. And give them to us.

We haven't paid for a 9V in years and years. They come to us all over 8.5V (we check them all and toss/reallocate those that aren't).

Maybe give that a shot?
Audio Engineer
StoneRidge Fellowship
www.stoneridgefellowship.com

Trevor Lindberg

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2009, 12:39:13 AM »

After reading a review about Cirque du Soliel (imagine how many rigs they run...)and their use of Ansmann rechargables, we decided to try them as well. 300 dollars for 8 sets of AA and 4 9volts and a charger later, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It is saving us approx 50 dollars a month so they paid for themselves in 6 months. Check out www.horizonbattery.com for more info. And no, I don't work for them. Their product worked out good for us.
Trevor

John Fiorello

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2009, 05:44:02 PM »

Trevor Lindberg wrote on Mon, 12 October 2009 00:39

After reading a review about Cirque du Soliel (imagine how many rigs they run...)and their use of Ansmann rechargables, we decided to try them as well. 300 dollars for 8 sets of AA and 4 9volts and a charger later, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It is saving us approx 50 dollars a month so they paid for themselves in 6 months. Check out www.horizonbattery.com for more info. And no, I don't work for them. Their product worked out good for us.

Lol, sounds like an ad to me Smile  but I read that Cirque reference too...That's what got me thinking again about Ansmann.

Mike, I re-read your post and you said you liked the Maha charger better than the "rack mount" ansmann chargers.  Was there something particular about build quality, or was it operational?

Thanks!!

JF
Stop. Think. Speak.

Mike Sessler

• http://www.ChurchTechArts.org
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »

JF,
I've used both the Ansmann desktop and rackmount chargers and had issues with both. The desktop units, at $100, had problems making positive contact with the batteries. This was an issue with the batteries as well--the metal they use for the negative post on the battery (and the positive post on the charger) is thin and deforms easily. Often, the battery would not seat and thus, not charge.

With the rackmount, we did have one charging module go bad. Plus, they're $500, which is a lot of money for a battery charger. The AA charging trays for the rackmount version have constant issues staying clipped in, and often times only 2 of the 4 batteries in a tray will charge. It's a lot of money and the stuff should be made better--that's my primary issue.

We made the switch to the Maha batteries and charger and were much happier. The 300 maH batteries put out 8.4 volts and easily lasted two services on our beltpacks (Shure ULX-P). The terminals are made of thicker metal and don't deform. They are also slightly smaller than the Ansmann (closer to an alkaline) and thus fit better in the wireless mics.

The charger is a model simplicity. Just 10 spots to plug in batteries. However, they seat positively every time and charge in under 2 hours.  It's worked flawlessly.

My observation is that the Maha 9V stuff is better and cheaper than Ansmann. What's not to like?

Charger:
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/maha-mhc1090f-9v-batt ery-charger-multichannel-smart-9-volt-battery-charger-p-538. html?SP_id=43&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

Batteries:
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/maha-9v-300-mah-nimh- rechargeable-battery-p-503.html?SP_id=&osCsid=a98rm8a91d onrsllit8gi3gna7

Note: I don't work for Maha, or Thomas Distributing, nor do I get compensated in any way from either. I just like their products.
Mike Sessler
Technical Arts Director
Coast Hills Community Church

Planning will set you free...
http://www.ChurchTechArts.org

John Fiorello

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2009, 06:58:43 PM »

Thanks Mike!!

That's exactly the feedback I was looking for Smile  Yeah, $500 per unit was pretty steep, I feel like I could do a sweet job fabricating something pretty slick to go into the racks for less than that Laughing

I'll definitely get a set and see how they work out.  Hopefully the xtra saved cash can go to the new sound board...

Thanks again Mike!

JF
Stop. Think. Speak.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2009, 06:58:43 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.