ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ALTERNATIVE TO 9V BATTERIES!!??  (Read 32403 times)

Michael Shuemaker

ALTERNATIVE TO 9V BATTERIES!!??
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:25:56 PM »

There has GOT to be an alternative to using standard 9V batteries in wireless mics -- in-ears -- etc....

We tried rechargeable batteries a few years ago (low cost models) and found that the batteries simply didn't have the reliability of a standard 9V battery during our services.

As you can imagine combining Sunday services -- prayer meetings -- and everything else that comes up week to week when we use our wireless products the sheer cost of buying batteries -- even in bulk for lower per piece pricing -- can get extremely expensive.

Does anyone have a commercial grade recharge kit their currently using?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Dennis Huff

Re: ALTERNATIVE TO 9V BATTERIES!!??
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:31:03 AM »

A related question?

How often do you guys replace batteries?  Every week?  I'm not always at the board and until the last few months had little to do with sound.  Our pastor tends to leave the transmitter on and solve that problem for us  Very Happy

Daniel Cash

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 05:53:23 AM »

Dennis Huff wrote on Mon, 18 February 2008 21:31

A related question?

How often do you guys replace batteries?  Every week?  I'm not always at the board and until the last few months had little to do with sound.  Our pastor tends to leave the transmitter on and solve that problem for us  Very Happy

My church also tried the rechargeable 9v thing without success.

We currently spend around $400 a year on batteries, which to me is an offensively large number... I hate to even type it.

We have a few different wireless mics, each of which I am familiar with their battery life. Most of them can run safely for approximately 6 hours.  I do my best to keep a mental note on how many service and practices a given wireless unit has been powered up for. Even if I am not present for the event, I know which mics were used.

For wireless vocalists, I keep a spare mic sitting next to their floor monitor, and they know to grab it if their mic isnt working... thus allowing me to push the life of batteries without much concern.  

I think some modern wireless mics are starting to use AA which can reliably use rechargeables, but unfortunately all our wireless mics are old.

My favorite source for 9v batteries is http://www.batterywarehousedirect.com/ (which i found based on recommendations on one of the other prsoundweb forums.)

A.J. McGlynn

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 08:48:01 AM »

Daniel Cash wrote on Tue, 19 February 2008 04:53

We currently spend around $400 a year on batteries, which to me is an offensively large number... I hate to even type it.

$400 can be a small number if you compare it to my $900 a year I spend on batteries.

I don't know of another solution than just buying bulk. One solution is to switch to sabine wireless whose mics come with a mic clip that recharges the the mic while it is on its stand.
A.J. McGlynn, Technical Director
Grace Church
Erie, PA

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:22:32 AM »

I have long feared rechargeable batteries in wireless mics... with good reason. I know the technology has gotten better, but I'm still uneasy. After years of working with many, many churches, I'm finally "settling down" and have taken-up leading an audio ministry at a local church. They've been using rechargeable AAs for a couple years, and I must say I've been pleasantly surprised. I was nervous for the first few months, but the other four techs seemed confident. I'll still keep standard alkalines floating in my kit, just in case. AAs do seem to be much more predictable than 9v in the recharging department.

There are many options around for how to handle batteries. If you can't use rechargeables because you're running 9v, then buying bulk, and having the church realize the budget that is required to do so, may be your best bet.

Quote:

One solution is to switch to sabine wireless whose mics come with a mic clip that recharges the the mic while it is on its stand.

Personally, I don't like the sound of any piece of Sabine equipment I've ever heard. EQ, FBE, Mic, etc. Of course, in some applications it's probably not even possible to hear the difference between good audio companding on a quality mic, and the music-store specials (Nady, Sabine, etc.). I would rather a company focus on the audio quality of their mics as a primary goal as opposed to battery life.

Sorry to rip on Sabine, I know they have an add banner at the top of the forum sometimes. Just my personal taste.

If you're going to replace mics to get better battery life (eventually it could pay for itself, and you'll get better audio quality), then go for something with AAs, and you'll either save money on your bulk orders or you could apparently go rechargeable. As far as in-ears... to get good in-ears, I think we're all stuck with 9v, unless my guy at Shure is keeping secrets.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

MIKE HARPER

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:50:01 AM »

Rechargeable Battery 9v
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-96v230.htm

this is actually a 9.6v battery, There is a review at the bottom of the page from a Church using them with Senn. wireless.  my only concern with them is if the higher voltage would damage the transmitter.  

This isn't really a alternative, just some info:
The Battery life indicators on the wireless systems are normally made for use with Alkaline Batteries, and are based on the discharge rate/slope of alkaline batteries.  Rechargeable NIMH and LiIon batteries have a flatter discharge rate and a quicker drop off at the end of the charge, which makes the Battery indicators on the wireless unreliable when using rechargeables.  

I rely on the Battery indicators on our EV receivers to know when to change the battery so we use Alkaline.  We normally use up to 3 wireless systems per service, EV RE-1 and RE-2 and I replace the batteries in them every 2-3 weeks and they are normally around 50% according to the indicator on the transmitter or receiver.  Our Pastors and worship leaders are good about making sure the transmitter is off when not is use.  

Info On batteries:
Our Sound Contractor that we normally work with was telling me that the Panasonic Industrial Batteries are made by Energizer and are the same Battery as the Energizer Industrial and the Energizer Max.  He said that he did a comparison during a show/festival with Duracell Procells, Energizer Industrial and Panasonic Industrial and the Panasonic and Energizers Lasted an Hour longer than the Duracell Procells.  The wireless he used were Shure ULX Handhelds with SM58 heads.  

Mike Harper
Calvary Life Church
www.gocalvarylife.com

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: Alternative to 9v Batteries!!??
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:47:14 AM »

Michael Shuemaker wrote on Mon, 18 February 2008 22:25

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael
The Caps Lock key is the one right above the left shift key.

Mac

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »

I too spend allot of money on Batteries every year. We purchase 5-6 cases on 9 volt 240 batteries to a case and 10-12 cases of AA 144 to a case . And I also work with several smaller churches who obviously use quite a bit less. I really think you have to look at it like this. Is it important to you that the mic works? If it is well then you better spend the cash. if not then why put batteries in it at all? $400 dollars a year is not that much just a little under $8.00 a week. To me it is worth that to not have to deal with the problems. Besides if you could go rechargeable I would venture to say that your acquisition cost would exceed your yearly cost and by the time you paid it off you would have to replace them anyway. My solution to this has been to by in bulk through

www.medicbatteries.com  If you by 9v in a 240 battery flat box you can get them for 95 cent a battery which is by far the best price ive seen. Also if you order online they usually give you free shipping. To me its just not worth the risk that I am going to have a problem with a rechargeable.

Michael Shuemaker

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »

Say what?

Is there actually anything constructive you would like to add to this topic or do you just randomly give directions on how to find certain keyboard locations?

Jason Gill

• http://www.newlifehopewell.org/
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 01:49:01 PM »

Luckily, we only have 1 wireless (lapel mic) for our service.  For a while there, we would change the 9V when the signal started to get hairy.

For the last year or so, we have been replacing the 9V every month.  We looked at the cost of a 12 new batteries a year compared to the cost of a poor sounding sermon...  there wasn't a second thought.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 01:49:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.