ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DBX Driverack PA  (Read 4117 times)

Dwight Berry

DBX Driverack PA
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:01:41 PM »

I would like some advice on setting up the  DBX Driverack PA. I have it set up now and the guitars and the electric drums sound like plastic toys. They sound like the signal is not coming through clean

Ivan Beaver

Re: DBX Driverack PA
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 10:07:53 PM »

It really depends on what system you have.

Start by routing properly and using NO EQ.

Set your crossover points as recommended by manufacturer.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Jerrybosun

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 02:15:28 PM »

Wow, I give no Kudos to the DBX engineers. I have been an audio engineer for 30 plus years, computer programer for 4 years, and this unit took me a full day to master pawing though the manual.  What hope does a non techno freak have of working this? I have a friend that is using Behringer crossovers and EQ's on his large PA for hire because he cant figure out how to use it. when I hire his system I always patch it in and it sounds great. I sure wish they had made the user interface easier.

Dwight Berry

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 03:13:54 PM »

I guess that is my question. do I need to go back with the EQ I was using before we put in the Driverack PA. If so, how do we bypass the EQ in The Driverack. It may be helpful if I tell you a little more about our system.

Our sound system consist of the following Allen & Heath GL 4800,  2  Yamaha  S215 speakers FOH, Crown CE 2000 amp, 2 Mackie powered subs DBX Driverack PA,  3 Yamaha S115 wedge monitors, crown CE 1000 amp, graphic EQ for monitors .

Vocals:   SM58 mics, Shure laviler mics, Shure choir mics

Instruments: Piano miced with 2 SM57 mics, Fender Princeton Chorus amp miced through LINE out, Fender Cyber Twin Amp miced through Line Out , Bass amp miced through Line Out, Roland Electric Drums, Flute miced with audiovox carotid mic,

Dwight Berry

Jerrybosun

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 05:24:17 PM »

No Dwight dont go backwards. Either learn how to use it correctly or hire someone to teach you. If you do hire someone, make sure they are COMPLETELY well versed in the menus/operation on the drive rack. A good sound engineer hired for a few hours before a practice of the band or a minor service during the week for setting it up and the adjusting it while you learn then apply it to the service will be the best couple hundred you ever spent.

Tim Urner

• http://www.steeplesoundavl.com
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 10:06:13 PM »

I found a few times when I have hooked these up the highs were coming out of the lows and vise versa. I somehow changed the patches or something. It is a little learning curve, nothing impossible.

Keep in mind the Driverack is trying to do on a small lcd screen and a few buttons, what some manufacturers need a separate PC program to do.

Stick with it

Jon Murray

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 01:24:41 AM »

Try using the RTA setup wizard again. With a good measurement mic.

Also I found that the compressor on the Driverack doesn't seem to work very well. I turned mine off and use an outboard compressor on the vocals only. Just my preferance probly.

You can flatten the EQ in the driverack if that works than you know that it's the EQ and not the compressor.

I spent a couple days just playing with it. But once you figure it out it's great.
Jon Murray
Audio Team Leader
North East Community Church
Colorado Springs CO
hammerandnailsco@aol.com

Dwight Berry

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 06:51:02 PM »

thanks I will try it and let you know how it works. I don't think I can get the instruments to sound any worse.One thing that the drive rack solved was the feed back problem

Jonathan Heimberg

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 11:14:56 PM »

Lots of good advice above..

One thing that will help is by being realistic with your expectations.

Many people end up with the DRPA because the folks at the music store told them it will: Eliminate feedback, fix your speakers, solve your room problems, and cure cancer on the side.

Just remember: It does crossover, system/driver delay, EQ, and system-wide compression. Plus some  Rolling Eyes other things: subharmonic synth, Feedback elimination...

There's no anti-cancer patch in there! Smile

Remember that just because you plugged an RTA mic in and ran the program, that doesn't mean that your system is now magically flat! There's lots of room for error.

All that said, I've installed dozens, and use them myself, so they're a valuable tool...

Adios!
Jonathan Heimberg
http://www.soundadvicetraining.com
Church Sound Training DVD's
http://www.happythoughtsnews.com
All of the Good News!

Michael Robertson

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 07:01:11 PM »

We use a PA at our church. They couldn't have screwed up their algorithms on the RTA any more if they tried. We have used the RTA wizard in several rooms and tried all of their pre-set "curves" and flat response settings with horrid results each time. The best thing to do is download SMAART and use it, or do it by ear. We've gotten to the point that we just use it for Xover, and EQ it by ear. Use the PEQ to scan for offending freq's, and set the Xover by speaker manufacturers specs.

If you ever find a trick to making the RTA wiz actually produce a half-way decent sound let us know.
Don't think twice. You didn't get it the first time, you won't get it the second time either.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 07:01:11 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.