ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Placement of Compressor  (Read 1672 times)

Alan Hewlett

Placement of Compressor
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:36:14 PM »

OK, I'm sure this is a very basic question for a seasoned pro, but when cabling up a compressor and an EQ on one insert circuit, which unit should come first? That is to say, from the mixer board insert jack, should I go the the compressor first, then chain it to the EQ and back to the board, or from the mixer board insert jack to the EQ then chain to the compressor and back the the board. My thought would be to go the the compressor first. What do yhou guys think?

Jeff Ekstrand

Re: Placement of Compressor
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 10:50:16 PM »

Quote:

If you could clarify for us why you want to insert an EQ on your channel that would help.

Common practice, Alexandre. I'd say that, more often than not, when I'm the system tech for guest artists (Sarah Groves, Fernando Ortega, DC*B,  etc.), and they're not using a digital console, I end-up patching an outboard EQ/compressor/mic pre. When used correctly it can be the difference between an average vocal tone and one that will rock your socks off. Shamelessly, I love Sarah Groves voice... and her husband is her FOH engineer so I don't feel bad saying that. They've got some good stuff on her inserts.

Anyway... Alan.

I've seen it done both ways, although it's not a practice that I'm commonly able to employ on most analog systems in churches. However, taking a page from the digital world, dynamics (comp/gate) come AFTER the EQ, which is the way I do it when it's the right move and I have the gear available.

Food for thought.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

Don Boomer

• http://www.line6.com
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 10:51:51 PM »

Well you can do it either way ... depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Are you using the compressor as "tone" modification?  That would be different than limiting for protection.

If you put the EQ in front of the comp/limiter then any changes you make to the EQ affect the threshold ... if you put it after, they don't.

Depending on exactly what you are doing it may make no difference.
Don Boomer
Microphone Product Line Mgr.
Line 6, inc
dboomer@line6.com

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:14:56 PM »

Alan Hewlett wrote on Tue, 05 February 2008 02:36

OK, I'm sure this is a very basic question for a seasoned pro, but when cabling up a compressor and an EQ on one insert circuit, which unit should come first?

Compressors are very sensitive to variations in input level, and equalizers are not. Either a compressor or an equalizer can change the level supplied to the equipment following it.

Therefore, for maximum independence of adjustment (makes things easier) the compressor comes first.

Quote:

That is to say, from the mixer board insert jack, should I go the the compressor first, then chain it to the EQ and back to the board,

Yes.

Quote:

or from the mixer board insert jack to the EQ then chain to the compressor and back the the board.

Probably not.

Quote:

My thought would be to go the the compressor first. What do yhou guys think?

Compressor first.

Another way to look at it is that if you put the compressor in the signal chain to protect it from excessive levels, you would want to put it in as close to the mic as possible. Except you need the mic preamp to bring the signal up to line level, which is what the compressor is expecting. So, you put the compressor right after the mic preamp.

Brad Weber

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »

Don Boomer wrote on Mon, 04 February 2008 22:51

Well you can do it either way ... depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Agree fully with Don here and I think it may also relate to what Alexandre was after.  This subject has been discussed numerous times in other forums and the right answer is that there is no one "always right" answer, it depends on what you are trying to do.  So both where and in what order the devices are inserted can depend upon the intended result.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 05:40:58 PM »

agreeing with Don on this.

It depends on what the signal is like and what you want to accomplish. There is no wrong way unless it sounds bad when you do it. If your compressor is capable there is also the option of side chaining which adds even more flexibility to what you can do. What matters is the end result. How you get there is more or less up to the artist.

Don Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 10:18:38 AM »

As far as the compressor eq sequence I tend to go to the compressor first, then the EQ. Here's why.

The compressor serves two practical functions. One to smooth out dynamics, the other to keep peaks from powering their way into the system. Putting the compressor first can keep you from overloading or clipping your EQ. The other problem this avoids is how EQ curves might drive you into compression where you do not want to be, since the compressor is typically measuring the full frequency range of the sound.

This is just my experience. Your application may be completely different, and warrant the reverse. Neither is right or wrong. See which achieves your goals best.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 10:18:38 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.