ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long throw projector on a budget  (Read 7201 times)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Long throw projector on a budget
« on: January 18, 2008, 08:36:42 AM »

We're looking to do a permanent projector install in our church. Owing to the layout, there's a perfect position for the projector (rear projecting) which will make mounting a piece of cake. However, it results in an 8.5 m throw needing to produce a 3x2.25m image, and all the off-the-shelf projectors I can find appear to be much shorter throw than that.

Had been liking the look of the ViewSonic PJ1158 4,000 lumens (which is really our target brightness) at just under UKP 1,400. But have been quoted a whopping additional UKP 1,200 for a long throw lens (LENS-005).  (Double those prices to reach USD)

Now, we could go for mounting the projector closer to the screen, but that will involve some complex mounting solutions and a drop from a *very* high ceiling - not to mention added hassle for power/signal and service access, so we really want to keep to the original location.

Any other bright ideas for a long throw bright projector that won't break the bank? Or are there generic lenses that won't similarly break the bank? Or do we just need to bite the bullet?

Re: Long throw projector on a budget
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:20:29 AM »

Unfortunately optics are costly! If the projectors distance from the screen does not match stock lens your gonna pay for it. There is not any way around it if you need a lens your gonna pay for a lens. Sorry I know this doesn't help! But at-least you know!

Brad Weber

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 03:00:11 PM »

For lower and mid cost projectors it is also a matter of supply and demand, they sell many projectors with a standard lens for each non-standard lens they sell.  When you get into some permanent install oriented projectors there are some models where you select the lens separately, the lenses are still expensive but at least you are not paying for both the provided lens and an optional lens.

There are some firms offering third party lenses for many projectors but Thomas is right that good optics cost money and these usually do not represent a huge savings, in fact it may turn out to be the same lens the projector manufacturer offers.

I will say that is an unusual situation, I am usually trying to find sufficient throw distance to utilize rear screen projection even with short throw lenses, much less with the standard lens.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 01:33:59 PM »

Alec wrote on Fri, 18 January 2008 13:36

We're looking to do a permanent projector install in our church. Owing to the layout, there's a perfect position for the projector (rear projecting) which will make mounting a piece of cake. However, it results in an 8.5 m throw needing to produce a 3x2.25m image, and all the off-the-shelf projectors I can find appear to be much shorter throw than that.

Had been liking the look of the ViewSonic PJ1158 4,000 lumens (which is really our target brightness) at just under UKP 1,400. But have been quoted a whopping additional UKP 1,200 for a long throw lens (LENS-005).  (Double those prices to reach USD)

Now, we could go for mounting the projector closer to the screen, but that will involve some complex mounting solutions and a drop from a *very* high ceiling - not to mention added hassle for power/signal and service access, so we really want to keep to the original location.

We used to have an 2200 lumen Eiki with a long lens so that we could shoot from the balcony to a screen over the platform.

When the time came for an upgrade, we went for a Panasonic 5500 with the standard lens, and bit the bullet for the ceiling mount.

We have a limited crawl space over the top of the ceiling mount, and we have the means to unbolt the projector and the pole from the ceiling, and winch it down to the floor for service.

One way that Large venue projector distinguish themselves from board room projectors is by having so many adjustements remoted.

Gil Parente

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 10:43:48 PM »

Hi Alec,

What is your screen size?

There are some lens adapters that you may be able to use, but it is almost impossible to recommend something to you without knowing your target screen size.

Also a brief explanation of your ceiling/wall structure may result in some easier mounting advices.

take care
Gil

Brad Weber

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:37:26 AM »

Quote:

Owing to the layout, there's a perfect position for the projector (rear projecting) which will make mounting a piece of cake. However, it results in an 8.5 m throw needing to produce a 3x2.25m image, and all the off-the-shelf projectors I can find appear to be much shorter throw than that.

Sounds like a roughly 10'x7'-6" (9'-10" x 7'-5") image with an approximately 28' throw.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Gil Parente

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 12:17:02 AM »

Thanks Brad.. I guess I missed that on the first thread Embarassed

2.8 ratio is going to be tough on a budget.

I've had good results with Sanyo projectors.
I'm not sure about pricing now, but I would look into the PLC-XT35/L with LNS-T10 lens.  I think it runs around $5000 USD.

Take care
Gil

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 12:17:02 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.