ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A new one for me  (Read 1326 times)

Ivan Beaver

A new one for me
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:05:41 PM »

We are near the end of a LARGE install in a very technical church.

Today was the 3rd and final day of system alignment, when this morning I was in a nice quiet room (very unusual for new construction) and then I thought I heard a vacuum cleaner being used, so I looked around to get it turned off.

Then I realized it was not a vacuum, but rather the projectors Shocked  had just turned on.

I measured the NC of the projectors at 45, centered around 250-500Hz.  WOW!  The target for the HVAC was 25.

Yeah that is really going to work with the LARES system that is being installed-NOT!

Open mics are going to pick up all that noise.

These are HUGE 20,000ANSI projectors units-5 of them!

I don't do video, but in the last couple hundred jobs, I have never even thought of the noise from a projector, until now.

Sorry to vent, but a lot of effort went into getting a quiet room and a lot of money into making it acoustically good (4" thick sound panels all behind the stage-RPG BAD panels solid on the rear wall etc.)for the LARES system, all to be ruined by something that should not even have to be thought of-acoustically.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

mark ahlenius

Re: A new one for me
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 09:57:36 PM »

Ivan,

the first thing I would check is the mfr specs on the projectors for noise levels.

Sounds quite loud, but with that high of a lumen output, something has too cool those bulbs!  Maybe there is an issue with the fans or  someone didn't unblock plastic over the filters?

'mark

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:41:39 PM »

What projectors are they?  Probably not in the same league as far as output, but I know Panasonic makes some liquid cooled projectors that would be quiet.

What's the purpose of the LARES system in a church?
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Robert Sims

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 11:42:37 PM »

Crazy,
Seems like with the extent of the project, they would have gone to rear projection. 20K and 5 projectors hope they worked out the thermal calcs as well.

Have you ever worked with or installed a VRAS (or what ever Meyer's calls it now) system?

Robert

Robert Sims
Technical Director/Engineer
Hope Baptist Church
Systems Engineer
CES Las Vegas

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 08:35:24 AM »

Aaron McQueen wrote on Fri, 04 January 2008 23:41

What's the purpose of the LARES system in a church?

The purpose is to vary the acoustical environment, as in any LARES install.

They can go from a dead room to a very live one in an instant and vice versa. And in between.

They also do a lot of drama stuff, so changing the "feel" of the room and moving people into "the experience" is a big part of it.

Churches are a PERFECT place for such systems, expecially with the different styles of worship now.

For example 1st worship (traditional) nice and lively (makes the organ and choir happy) untill the message, then kill it so intelligability is high, then liven it up to finish out.

2nd service (contemporary)  kill it or just use a little bit and specials as needed.

Of course the effectivness is predicated on a dead room.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 08:51:20 AM »

Robert Sims wrote on Fri, 04 January 2008 23:42

Have you ever worked with or installed a VRAS (or what ever Meyer's calls it now) system?

Robert

Actually we were one of the first crop of VRAS dealers in the country and still have (as far as I know) the only portable VRAS rig that we paid for and built ourselves that allowed us to quickly (as in a couple of hours-as opposed to LCS doing a demo that took a couple of days to setup)setup a demo and move it around in a room.

The origional design (not ours) had a VRAS system, but the origional contractor mispriced (under by more than 50%) the price of the VRAS system.  The church was going to hold them to the price, so it was deceided (by the contractor and Meyer) that the loudspeakers to be used would be greatly scaled down to basically bookshelf types.

No way this would work-as the room is 2300 seats and VERY contemporary. During test yesterday we were running 115dB C, throughout the room.  They will not get that loud, but will get on up there-more than many churches.  (There are 22 Danley SH50's for the main PA (LCR cross matrix) and 9 SH100's-delays, and custom subs)

So the second idea was to use VRAS processing, but Danley loudspeakers, but Meyer would have no part of that.

So we decided to go with LARES and the Danleys.  54 SH100's just for the LARES system.

Anybody want to buy some old VRAS Matrix 8's?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 08:51:20 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.