ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HD video server or pc-based digital video recorder (DVR)  (Read 3190 times)

Jim Frederick

HD video server or pc-based digital video recorder (DVR)
« on: December 09, 2007, 06:51:10 PM »

We'd like to replace a DVD/HDD recorder (Toshiba RD-XS34SU) with something more flexible and open like a PC-based recorder. We record live video of services onto DVDs and/or Hard drive. If possible, we'd also like to cue DVDs to play during services. Does anybody have experience with such a system?

This page on Wikipedia for 'Digital video recorder' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_video_recorder mentions several open-source video recorder software packages for Linux, Mac and Windows. I'm wondering if anybody has experience with such software packages.

-Jim Frederick

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
Re: HD video server or pc-based digital video recorder (DVR)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 11:36:35 AM »

Jim Frederick wrote on Sun, 09 December 2007 23:51

We'd like to replace a DVD/HDD recorder (Toshiba RD-XS34SU) with something more flexible and open like a PC-based recorder. We record live video of services onto DVDs and/or Hard drive.

I've been experimenting with PC-based DVRs for years, and long story short I've bought 3 dedicated DVRs since then. Wink

I'm back looking at PC-Based DVRs because DVRs that record HDTV can be pricey.

Most of the digital video and TV capture cards come with software, which varies in terms of flexibility and stability. The software that ADS packages with their cards is the one I favor at the moment.

One thing I've learned about making line-in recordings of A/V is to avoid capture cards that rely on the sound card in your PC or some other audio interface that is not built into the video capture device. That separates the video clock from the audio clock and lip synch may noticably diverge after 30-60 minutes, more or less.

Here's the next video capture card that I might want to buy:
http://www.visiblelight.com/mall/productview.aspx?pid=93

Quote:

If possible, we'd also like to cue DVDs to play during services. Does anybody have experience with such a system?

That's a completely different issue - software DVD players. No special hardware required in many cases. There's a ton of them, many are freeware. I haven't found the one of my dreams. Some of the church-oriented presentation packages have this feature, but I haven't seen the package we have bring much joy. I'm not sure if some of this isn't my fault, so I won't mention the name of the software.

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 12:43:11 PM »

We just started using, this past Sunday, a program called Adobe OnLocation to record the services.  It comes with Adobe Premiere.  It was formerly called DVRack.  It has tons of features to record clips and different tools that I have no idea what they do.  The camera connects via firewire to the computer.

We have a dedicated computer and it's designed for recording live video.  We have seperate computer for video playback that can play the DVD's.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 01:50:39 PM »

Aaron McQueen wrote on Mon, 10 December 2007 17:43

We just started using, this past Sunday, a program called Adobe OnLocation to record the services.  It comes with Adobe Premiere.  It was formerly called DVRack.  It has tons of features to record clips and different tools that I have no idea what they do.  The camera connects via firewire to the computer.

Thinking about lower-cost (and presumably lower function) alternatives than Premiere:

Adobe Premiere Elements has supported live video capture since I believe release 3.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio also seems to support live video capture.

Both products have a large percentage of the features of the higher-priced alternatives from the same vendor. Either could no doubt produce a professional-looking recording of a church service or special event.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 01:50:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.