Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Advice / help needed in buying a used Yamaha 01V96VCM

(1/1)

Pete Goodwill:
Hello everyone,

If one were to buy a used 01V96VCM, with no prior experience on that board, how would you check/confirm board model /firmware, i.e. V2 or VCM? Does it have to show “01V96 VCM” on a screen during boot up or it would still show “01V96 V2”?

Also, how to check mixer basic functionality in “five minutes”? Board diagnostic test? Fader test?
There are no such a thing like OBD2 (vehicle diagnostic) on board, that would keep a history of all fault codes and conditions where you can check for the defects?

Sorry if this is something obvious and covered by RTFM.

What would you check when buying used 01V96VCM?
Any well known symptoms/issues to be aware of?

Thanks for the help,

Pete

Luke Landis:

--- Quote from: Pete Goodwill on April 14, 2011, 09:04:56 PM ---Hello everyone,

If one were to buy a used 01V96VCM, with no prior experience on that board, how would you check/confirm board model /firmware, i.e. V2 or VCM? Does it have to show “01V96 VCM” on a screen during boot up or it would still show “01V96 V2”?

Also, how to check mixer basic functionality in “five minutes”? Board diagnostic test? Fader test?
There are no such a thing like OBD2 (vehicle diagnostic) on board, that would keep a history of all fault codes and conditions where you can check for the defects?

Thanks for the help,

Pete

--- End quote ---

Download the manual(it's BIG). Read fader diagnostics. I would wip up a quick fake 'mix' and go back and forth on the layers. My first 01v96vcm was a demo and it had a sticky fader. VCM will have Rev X verbs listed in the fx menu all the way to the end IIRC. If they are greyed out a bit, NOT VCM. Not sure about Version # on mine. Ckeck the battery(RTFM). Maybe someone else will chime in as well..

I bought my Demo from Sweetwater, and they gave me a brand new one after the fader problem. I was going to buy used as well, but was afraid of issues. I will say mine has been ROCK Solid for 6-7 months, and I LOVE it. Zero outboard. I do all EQ with onboards and comps and gates are fine. REV X verbs are very nice. Love the Plate!

David Parker:

--- Quote from: Pete Goodwill on April 14, 2011, 09:04:56 PM ---Hello everyone,

Thanks for the help,

Pete

--- End quote ---

don't know about now, but a few years back when I was thinking about buying a used 01V96, I found out the market was slim, and the price of a new one wasn't much more than used. Very few of them on the market then, nobody sells them. It's one of those pieces that once you buy you'll never sell. The only one I found used had problems and the guy still wanted $1500 for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version