ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC to video conversion  (Read 2903 times)

BenCarroll

PC to video conversion
« on: December 03, 2007, 10:16:06 AM »

Presently I am using a Focus Enhancements "Gold" PC to video converter with poor results.  I am looking for a reasonably priced upgrade or information on how to use this part more effectively.

The present setup splits off the signal from a computer VGA output @ 1280 X 1024 used for the main projector in the sanctuary with the cable supplied with the converter.  The converter down converts the format to NTSC which is then split and fed to two tube TVs located in the lobby.

I have tried two experiments to try and pinpoint the problem:

1)Temporarily replaced the PC to video adapter with a VCR playing a video tape. The quality significantely improved.

2)Changing to the S video output on the PC to video adapter with only a 6 foot cable marginally improves the signal quality.

I contacted focus enhancements with little success.  They suggested I reduce the computer resolution.  This is clearly not a viable option.

Any help will be appreciated

Karl P(eterson)

Re: PC to video conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »

Getting high res graphics to NTSC is a tricky business.

The first thing you need to do is get a proper scan converter. I would generally like to see something like the Analog Way Broadscan BSC730, failing the budget for that their Scan 1600 SSV1600 is an acceptable lower cost solution.

After you get that up and running you will want to look at the picture quality, if it works great, then your golden. If it still isn't acceptable you will have to either live with it or turn the resolution on your computer down.

It may be cheaper to get rid of the TV's, put in LCD's and run VGA out to them?

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Brad Weber

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 10:59:18 AM »

BenCarroll wrote on Mon, 03 December 2007 10:16

I contacted focus enhancements with little success.  They suggested I reduce the computer resolution.  This is clearly not a viable option.

Why is it not a viable option?  Do you have a 1280x1024 native projector, as you usually want to run at the native resolution of your projector?

Because 1280x1024 SXGA is 5:4 format, it requires even greater processing to get to 4:3 NTSC video than some other resolutions such as 1024x768.

It would also help if you could define your expectations and what a "reasonable" cost represents as a professional install type scan converter from Extron, Kramer, TVOne, Analog way, etc. will cost probably 5 to 10 times as much as your current unit, with broadcast quality converters being 10 to 30 times, or more, the cost.

How are you splitting the computer output and scan converter output?  Are you using DAs or simple "Y"s?  That could also be a factor.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

BenCarroll

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 01:04:49 PM »

Brad,

Focus Enhancements recommended to turn the resolution down to below 800 X 600.  This is not viable.

I checked the native resolution of the projector.  It is not 1280 X 1024. It is 1024 X 768.  I will give your suggestion a try.

If that does not yield enough improvement, does anybody have a suggestion for a converter that costs less that $1k?  Kramer makes a VP501XL, VP502XL, and VP503XL.  Does anybody have experience with these boxes?

The TVs are primarily used to present text based announcements. The font size is intentionally kept large for ease of viewing at a distance.

Even with relatively large font the characters are very poorly defined with significant color shift.    

Ben    

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 01:04:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.