ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: peaking signals  (Read 2315 times)

Nathan Blanks

peaking signals
« on: July 22, 2007, 08:54:34 AM »

why the heck is my kick drum signal peaking, even when I have the gain turned all the way down?

Eurodesk 32 ch

Brad Weber

Re: peaking signals
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 01:14:53 PM »

Is it the individual channel peaking?  Is this a mic direct into the XLR input of a mono channel?  By "gain" do you mean the channel fader or the channel trim knob?

Since there is no mic/line switch, for each channel the XLR is pretty much dedicated for mic level inputs and the 1/4" TRS for any line level inputs.  Also, according to Behringer's block diagram, the mono channel peak indicators are actually after the gain trim, insert, low cut filter and EQ.  So there are a few things that could affect the level hitting the peak indicator.  
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:53:28 PM »

Make sure to set your EQ flat, disengage any filters (low-cut/high-cut) and then see if it is still clipping the channel.  Look into buying an inline pad for the microphone.  
My guess is that the signal is just too hot for that channel strip to handle.  It could be the preamp (most likely) or you could be clipping the EQ stage...many things, but most likely the preamp, since it's the first thing that sees the signal.

Shure A15AS Inline Pad - http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/Accessories/us_pro_A1 5AS_content

I'm sure there are others out there, just take a look.
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 05:14:21 PM »

Nathan Blanks wrote on Sun, 22 July 2007 05:54

why the heck is my kick drum signal peaking, even when I have the gain turned all the way down?

Eurodesk 32 ch

This happens on the mixers from which this design was "borrowed," too ... the Mackie 8-bus and small SR 4-bus mixers. Even with the input trim at minimum, there's still enough signal to indicate clip.

The simplest thing to do is to buy or make an adapter with XLR female on one end and 1/4" TRS on the other. Patch the XLR side into your snake and plug the 1/4" end into the channel line in. The line in has a 20 dB (or more, I dunno) pad in front of the preamp and that should prevent overloads.

Build a handful of these adapters as they are useful for kick, snare, and bass amp and keyboard line outs.

-a
"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 05:14:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.