ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Quality video  (Read 7907 times)

Ron Balint

TV Quality video
« on: November 13, 2007, 05:30:17 PM »

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I need some guidance / information on high quality video equipment for video recording our services. Due to space limitations, I wanted a device mounted from the ceiling on a motorized mount, obviously remotely controlled. I found what looks like some nice devices but the descriptions mention nothing about picture quality. Here's what I found:
Sony BRC-300
Sony EVI-D100

It appears that, for the money, the EVI-D100 could be a contender, but I have no frame of reference.
Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron

Karl P(eterson)

Re: TV Quality video
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:13:35 PM »

Let me preface this: Quality video is the most stupid expensive stuff in the whole world. The prices will bring one to shock and amazement.

By TV Quality do you mean, hey it looked great in 1989 TV quality, or 1999 TV quality or 2008 TV Quality?

If you want 1989 quality then that sony will work great for you.

If you want 1999 quality I would guess 50K would buy you a convertible camera, pan/tilt head, lense, controller, cabling, monitor, and a record deck.

If you want 2007/8 TV quality I would guess 80K would buy you a HD box cam, an HD  Lense, a quality pan/tilt head, cabling, controllers, monitoring and a FCP Setup to record the HD video.

Video Hurts.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Brad Weber

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:24:37 AM »

I don't know that I'd call the BRC-300 1999 quality and there is the BRC-H700 for HD, but defining "high quality" is indeed a slippery slope.  I've worked with broadcast clients who thought nothing of putting a couple of $75,000 to $80,000 VTRs in a presentation system so they could play their master recordings.

To give some reference for the models you mentioned, I consider the EVI-D100 a conferencing camera.  It can work for other applications, but it was designed for conferencing applications and the low level light performance, zoom range, pan and tilt range and action, etc. are commensurate with that application.  The BRC-300 is a big step up and is used by many churches, colleges, etc.  The BRC-H700 is yet another step up for those wanting to work in HD.  For some comparison, look at the HDC-X300 or 310, just the camera body is almost twice the cost of the BRC-H700, almost three times it with a lens, and you still have to get a pan/tilt! And that is an entry level 'broadcast' camera.

So you really need to look at the physical, application and financial implications.  Does the camera work well with the physical space (lighting, lens, etc.)?  Are you recording this for later editing and distribution or is it for archival purposes?  How much do you have to spend?

Also think about related things.  Not only the cost and availability of the camera installation, the controller, monitors, etc., but also of whether investing in some related lighting is required or would provide cost effective benefits.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Ron Balint

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 05:11:50 PM »

Thanks Carl. I knew there was plenty to learn and I'm gathering information. I haven't yet been told what the budget is, but rather to collect information so that we can review and decide. This is as yet, uncharted territory for us. Thanks.

Ron Balint

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 05:16:46 PM »

Thanks Brad. As I mentioned to Carl, I'm learning. I sincerely appreciate your input as it helps me to present the info so that a decision can be reached. Thanks.

Brian Kent Tennyson

• http://www.visitec.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:51:44 AM »

Another thing to remember is those PTZ style cameras have 2-3 frames of delay in them. If you invert them, add 4 more frames. this can cause serious word sync issues in both I-mag and broadcast situations.
You can't get enough, but enough ain't the test.

Brian Kent Tennyson
Visitec Inc.
www.visitec.com

Brad Weber

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 10:17:48 AM »

Very good point!
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Brian Kent Tennyson

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 11:08:16 PM »

Brad Weber wrote on Mon, 19 November 2007 09:17

Very good point!

One a year, baby, one a year.  Razz

Brian Kent Tennyson
Visitec Inc.
www.visitec.com

Dave Hudzik

• http://www.livewiresi.com
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 10:04:30 PM »

Brian...quick question... are you getting that 2-3 frames then + 4 inverted from experience or from some sort of published spec.  I am curious... I am also assuming that's just with a video out to live feed...not a record situation with sync.

Brian Kent Tennyson

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 09:02:50 PM »

Dave Hudzik wrote on Sat, 22 December 2007 21:04

Brian...quick question... are you getting that 2-3 frames then + 4 inverted from experience or from some sort of published spec.  I am curious... I am also assuming that's just with a video out to live feed...not a record situation with sync.

I'm the Vaddio rep for the Midwest and just went through a full day seminar where this was the main topic. I have also seen this in field situations.

These cameras do not have audio, so they are doing nothing to keep the A and the V in time with each other. Recorded, I-mag or otherwise.

Sony doesn't publish anything about this that I know of.

Brian Kent Tennyson
Visitec Inc.
www.visitec.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 09:02:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.