ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Format for archiving  (Read 8652 times)

Dave Abbey

Video Format for archiving
« on: October 09, 2007, 07:25:19 PM »

what format can we use for archiving the sermon.. we will be recording straight to harddrive but we want to then archive it for possible editing in later.
using dv avi is huge but if we use mpg i degrades the file...

Thanks!

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
Re: Video Format for archiving
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 12:17:10 AM »

Dave Abbey wrote on Wed, 10 October 2007 00:25

what format can we use for archiving the sermon.. we will be recording straight to harddrive but we want to then archive it for possible editing in later.
using dv avi is huge but if we use mpg i degrades the file...

Thanks!

We archive video with a DVD recorder.

Greg Hertfelder

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 10:29:37 PM »

You're right; uncompressed AVI files are huge, but there is no degradation. You could copy the AVI file to an external hard drive or possibly burn the AVI into a double-layer DVD (8.5GB) as a data file.

Another idea would be to record the video to DV, DVcam or DVCPRO videotape at the same time you record to hard drive, which would give you recording redundancy (in case the computer fails), and an edit-ready copy on tape. Some recorders give you a number of format choices in one unit.

You could render the video to a compressed format, such as MPEG2 or Windows Media, but there will be some degradation.  Arnold's point about recording straight to DVD makes sense, too; cheap, little storage space. I edit in Sony Vegas, and it accepts just about anything.

Ole Anderson

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 06:00:10 PM »

I agree, direct to DVD with a $200 stand alone recorder to archive.

Sorry to hijach the thread, but...  Greg, how easy is it to learn Sony Vegas?  I am using Womble Video Wizard to cut and trim our live-mixed Sunday service as it is fairly intuitive and accepts the .VRO files from our consumer grade Panasonic DVD recorder.

http://www.womble.com/
Christ Lutheran - Waterford
6 EAW MK8196, 1 EAW SB150, 4 Crown DSi1000, A&H GL2400-24, Furman ASD-120

Brian Kent Tennyson

• http://www.visitec.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 11:50:22 PM »

I use Vegas. Found it very intuitive. the training videos are supposed to be very good also.
You can't get enough, but enough ain't the test.

Brian Kent Tennyson
Visitec Inc.
www.visitec.com

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 08:35:18 PM »

+1 for Vegas.  Much easier to use than Premiere.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Daniel Clark

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 07:25:22 AM »

I use mediacoder to compress regular DVD movies onto a portable player. It has several codecs and you can select the quality too reduce the actual file size. I typically compress full length movies to around 1GB with good results when played on a standard television screen.

The only drawback is the time it takes to recode the original signal. It can be configured to recode several files sequentially so you can let that run at night.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you were asking but it may be an option to consider.

Mediacoder link: http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/index.htm

Matthew Packer

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 01:17:06 AM »

I'm responsible only for sound but have been called in to help the video guys with a problem. My church has decided to provide DVDs of sermons straight after the service.  They have purchased a 1x10 duplicator.  

A consumer grade DVD recorder was also purchased to record the master DVD which is then rushed out to the bookstore for duplication.

However we have a lot of noise in the audio signal.  This may be a cable problem that we need to solve as the consumer unit uses unbalanced RCAs, and even despite connecting directly from unbalanced RCA outputs on our mixing desk, we get a kind of digital whining hum when listening to the outputs of the DVD recorder.  This we may solve with better cables and perhaps some balancing transformers.  The DVD recorder may also be faulty.

However even if I solve this problem, I have no idea how to match the levels so that the DVD is recorded with a decent quality audio signal.  The consumer unit has no input metering.  How can we know we are providing an optimal signal which is hot enough so people don't need to crank their TV volume controls, but will not be distorted?  We have no time to normalise the audio signal in post production since the DVD's are duplicated immediately.

Semi-pro CD-recorders are relatively easy to find and have good audio metering.  Any suggestions on semi-pro DVD recorders with input meters?

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 02:28:49 AM »

If you take a look the manual it will probably tell you what its max input level is. From there you should be able to devise a monitoring solution.

That said I would probably run to the unit with balanced audio and then go through something like a jensen PC-2XR http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/pc2xr.pdf

Alternatively you can use a semi pro recordered such as the Datavideo MP-6000 http://www.datavideo.us/mp-6000.html

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Joel Williamson

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »

I've been using vegas for 6 years. Love it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.