ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video screen flicker  (Read 4070 times)

John Anderson

Video screen flicker
« on: August 08, 2007, 04:37:30 AM »

We have a screen flicker from our video presentation hardware, which I have identified the cause as a new hearing aid loop amplifier. (It appeared when we introduced a new H.A.L. system, & disappears when I turn the amp off). Obviously thats the cause, but how do I rectify/solve the problem? Any ideas please ?

Christopher Buehring

Re: Video screen flicker
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 04:17:17 PM »

How close to the "video presentation hardware"(projector?) is the amplifier?

Are the two pieces of equipment on the same electrical circuit?

Are the two connected in any way by an audio chain...perhaps your video computer is also hooked to your sound system?

John Anderson

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:13:45 PM »

1. We have a raised platform at the back of the hall for Sound, Lighting, & Video, & also contains The Hearing Aid Amp. The projector is mounted from the ceiling, some 40 feet away (in a direct line)
2. Not sure if they are on the same circuit - I will check this.
3. Yes the video computer does have an audio out going to the main PA desk. I will try some trouble shooting here by removing this connection.

Thanks for these tips.

Tim Urner

• http://www.steeplesoundavl.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 10:34:58 PM »

We had a flicker once that was a ground loop manifesting itself in a inaudible way.

Sounds like a little voodoo.

Make sure the entire system, and everything that plugs into it comes off of the same AC panel.

Brad Weber

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 01:46:12 PM »

Is should be fairly easy to temporarily get the ALS loop amp in the same power as the projector and sources using extension cords.  But it could also by from the actual loop itself.

Someone please correct me if this makes no sense, but what happens if you disconnect the HAL input from the house audio system and provide it an isolated source (a battery powered CD player or something like that would be ideal)?  At that point there should be no physical coupling through the cabling paths.  If you still get the flicker then you might want to look at where the video cable runs in relation to the HAL antenna, especially if they are not in separate conduit runs.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Dan Nelson

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 04:09:33 PM »

So we have identified 3 possible causes?  

1. RF from the HAL
2. Lack of good ground due to separate AC CKTS
3. A ground loop made up of AC and Audio.

I would suggest trying to eliminate these one at a time. Finding the cause may be the hard part. The correction may be easy.  Smile

Oh, Quick question. Is the flicker sporatic or is it consistent?  Is there a patern or does it seem random?
Absurdity reigns, and confusion makes it look good.
-Dallas Willard-  

John Anderson

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 02:14:47 AM »

The flicker is 'flickering' in time to the music. It also occurs when playing a CD, which is directly connected to the PA desk!
I have also sourced an electrician within the church who is going to help me connect to different phases of the 3 phase power source. (I am in Australia, with different power specs, so hope this makes sense)

Brad Weber

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »

If the flicker is in time to the audio then it is likely an RF issue.  Does your video system have any other outputs or a preview capability?  If so, do you see the flicker in those signals or only the projector?  Is the video run to the projector in metal conduit?  Do you know if the video cabling runs next to or crosses the HAL loop antenna?

On the HAL side, is the HAL transmitter physically close to any of the video equipment?  Have you discussed this problem with the HAL manufacturer?

Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.