ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Signage Software/Devices  (Read 5697 times)

Tim Urner

• http://www.steeplesoundavl.com
Digital Signage Software/Devices
« on: July 31, 2007, 10:10:13 PM »

I have a customer that we installed a Denon DN-V755 Network Media Player for digital signage. It is having issues and not meeting all of their needs. It is being used for announcement slides in hallways and common areas.

My question...help me sort through the slew of software packages to do this from a PC. Features it must have is - Playability of media files, PPT, MPEG, etc. Scheduling (play slide show #1 Mon, Tues, Thurs, Slide Show #2, at 10AM Wed, Fri. Etc...) The Denon does not allow enough flexibility in scheduling.

This is something PowerPoint could do if it was not for the scheduling issues.

What are you guys using for digital signage?

Re: Digital Signage Software/Devices
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 11:06:53 PM »

Does it have to be for PC or is Apple a possibility? If apple is OK we are using a program that we created in Quartz composer. However, we are looking at changing to pro video player and using ICAL to trigger it!

Tim Urner

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:27:20 AM »

As an Apple guy myself I am ashamed I did not think of an apple. Not sure how the setup would work, details?

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 10:49:57 AM »

I've been asked to set up some type of digital signage in the lobby area.  I was looking around and came across http://infojection.co.uk/html/.  It runs on linux.  I've not tried it yet but I plan too soon.  You may want to check it out.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 12:45:11 PM »

Aaron McQueen wrote on Wed, 01 August 2007 10:49

I've been asked to set up some type of digital signage in the lobby area.  I was looking around and came across http://infojection.co.uk/html/.  It runs on linux.  I've not tried it yet but I plan too soon.  You may want to check it out.

That was not what I thought it was.  Don't use it.  It may be a scam.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Brad Weber

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »

Ignoring that you are not supposed to direct market products on these forums, it looks like your product doesn't fit their needs anyways.  Tim specifically noted the need to playback .mpeg and .ppt files and from your web site it looks like your software is not compatible with these file formats.  It also may not be compatible with the existing system as your system apparently requires a "Player PC" at every display.

I am curious about the comments regarding that the software can "Control any Number of locations" and "Control individual screens".  How does it communicate with the individual displays and what control is possible?

Tim, just to verify, since you are using the DN-V755, I assume the signage system is a single source with video or S-Video distribution (via CAT5?).  Have you considered using multiple interactive playlists and the parallel or serial control ports?  This would require manual triggering, but would allow for different playlists on different days.  You might even be able to find a simple software app that can trigger serial commands based on a calendar schedule.

Scheduling PowerPoint might be a problem.  You may have to export individual images out of PowerPoint as .jpg or other format files.  Some digital signage software has the ability to import images from PowerPoint.  And you might be able to use Crestron or AMX to schedule a PowerPoint slide show.  However, you may not be able to simply schedule running a PowerPoint slide show within the digital signage software, they are typically limited to playing standard media files and not running files within other applications.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Tim Urner

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 10:30:12 PM »

Thanks for your response.

Just to clarify, they export the ppt as jpeg. I realize that ppt cant do what I want it to...bummer

As far as I can tell the serial control would only allow you to play, pause, etc. Changing the play list would require using the browser based control. Even if you could manually trigger the new play list every day via serial/parallel. Why bother, because you can do the same through the browser. I wanted to verify by checking the manual but the site is down?

They want do be able to build and schedule the entire week in one sitting. They are happy with the ease of use of the DN-V at this point, just not happy with not being able to schedule.

PS did I miss a direct market here?

Brad Weber

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 01:39:05 PM »

Tim Urner wrote on Wed, 08 August 2007 22:30

PS did I miss a direct market here?

It wasn't really as bad as some others, but it looks like the related post was removed.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Brian Kent Tennyson

• http://www.visitec.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 07:22:08 PM »

Yes it was. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
You can't get enough, but enough ain't the test.

Brian Kent Tennyson
Visitec Inc.
www.visitec.com

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 09:56:38 AM »

For what it's worth, I have Denon knocking at my door at the moment telling me they have a new version that features...... You guessed it..... A fully fledged scheduling engine and then some other misc improvements.

I know some churches may not like the thought of replacing something with the exact same product just a X.1 release, but whatever, if they like the unit it may be a good fit for them.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Tim Urner

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »

Brian, I guess it was the same guy who just sent me an email... Thanks for nipping it in the bud

Karl, thanks for the info, when I spoke to them 2 months ago they said they had no plans to do that and made it seem like I was a mad man for asking. I guess I will be making a phone call tomorrow.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.