ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syn-Aud-Con Seminar: Is it worth it for the $$$$  (Read 1904 times)

John Warren

Syn-Aud-Con Seminar: Is it worth it for the $$$$
« on: July 04, 2007, 04:24:39 PM »

Would like to hear opinion's of those involved with the Operators Seminar. I have been to other sound seminar's and they were helpful, but lacking getting into mixing and FX.

Reason I ask is that, this will be a bit expensive as Im on a fixed income. But whats really cool is that Im getting involved with sound again at my new church and I love it.

Questions I need to know is do they get into compression, delay, and other FX-'s in depth.

Thank you for your replies in advance...John

Mike Yates

Re: Syn-Aud-Con Seminar: Is it worth it for the $$$$
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 05:02:52 PM »

Prosoundweb.com's study hall forum features articles by Syn-Aud-Con which I think speaks volumes about their reputation: http://www.prosoundweb.com/studyhall/sac/

This article also speaks favorably of the seminars: http://www.synaudcon.com/site/articles/Syn-Aud-Con-CPM.pdf
I also would be interested in other opinions about the material covered in the seminars, as I would like to attend the Orlando seminar at the LDI show in November.
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

http://theislandchapel.org/
Tierra Verde, Florida
Mike Yates

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 05:19:54 PM »

I asked this question not too long ago.  Here is what some others had to say.

I will be attending int Oct.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Mike Yates

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 05:39:47 PM »

Thanks Aaron...that's good enough for me!  Sounds just like what I've been looking for.
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

http://theislandchapel.org/
Tierra Verde, Florida
Mike Yates

Ivan Beaver

Re: Syn-Aud-Con Seminar: Is it worth it for the $$$$-Brad Weber?
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 06:45:26 PM »

I cannot speak directly for the operators seminar as it is one of the very few (possibly the only) that I have not attended, but I cannot say enough about the others. Well worth it.

I will be at the EQ07 next week and will ask Pat (the instructor) for details on the operators course.  I will report back.

I think that Brad Weber on here has attended the operators course in the last year or so, so maybe he can jump in on that part in particular.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Brad Weber

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 10:15:14 AM »

Ivan's right, I did attend the Operator's and Technician's courses last year.

Perhaps it is best to say that the SAC courses are more "what and why" courses than they are "how to" courses (and I actually wrote this before looking at the article Mike referenced Very Happy ).  They focus more on the science behind the art.  

Pat's approach is to try to give you the basic science and math so that you have a better understanding of what it is that is really happening.  If you are not a technical person, don't let the science and math aspect scare you, the information is presented in a manner that ties the tech to practical examples that help greatly in understanding.  Pat is not going to try to teach how to get a good mix or how you should set processors, but you will get a very good introduction into what is happening in a mix and what the processors are doing to the signal.  So he won't be telling you how to set the delay as much as why you would use delay and what it is doing.  Of course, every class is a little different and sometimes breaks and lunches get off onto totally different subjects.

The Operator's course starts with getting a basic understanding of the decibel and frequency and covers things such as the difference between peak and RMS/VU metering.  Then it goes into the physical system, discussing the various components, how they connect, including some time on interfacing, DIs, etc.  It then does get into the mixer, following the signal flow through the mixer and looking at what the various controls do and how they interact.  There is quite a bit on gain structure, especially as it relates to the mixer.  There are brief discussions on what mute groups, VCAs, matrix mixes, etc. are and how they work.  The next 'section' addresses signal processing, mics and mic techniques.  The last part covers speaker systems, including portable systems, and some feedback and hum/buzz troubleshooting.

The Technician course is similar, but a little more technical and detailed.  It focuses more on the system and the interaction with the environment than on the mixer and user effects.  For example, it goes into greater detail on crossovers and system limiting rather than on the 'artistic' processing employed by an operator.

Put simply, these are great courses to help you get a firm basis of the science behind mixing, but they are not "how to get a good mix" courses.

Ivan - see you in SLC next week!

Edit:  As far as the cost, I believe attending a class gets you a membership in SAC for a year, inclduing the SAC listserve, which is a great resource.  You also get a CD with all sorts of useful spreadsheets, audio clips, etc.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 12:51:39 PM »

Good description of the course material Brad.

I would like to add one thing.  I had resisted going to a Synaudcon class for years because when looking at the course outline I said to myself "I know all this stuff-why bother".  Well I finally went to one.

It was like WOW maybe I don't really understnad all this, or at least as well as I should.  In the first hour I was hooked.  When you have a good understanding of the basics (most people do not) it makes everything sooooo much easier.

It is not a cheap investment, but it needs to be looked at in just that way, an investment in your future.  The payoff will be well worth it.  Of course it is like anything else, you get what you put into it, and if you participate, a lot of knowledge can be gained, if not, it just doesn't soak in.

I know some people who went to the class with an attitude and got almost nothing out of it,  they just didn't realize how little they knew.  So for them the class was a waste of time.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 12:51:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.