ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Complete newb - wired remotes?  (Read 3209 times)

ChuckHubbert

Complete newb - wired remotes?
« on: July 02, 2007, 01:33:17 PM »

I am researching to replace our overhead with a computer and projector.  We are budget limited (who isn't?) to about $900 for a projector.  Our sanctuary is 50' from screen to back pew, and about 38' wide.  Projector throw will be very close to 15' from a ceiling mounted projector.

I think I am getting a handle on most of the specs., but I am still unclear about whether an IR remote will be reliable?  The projector will be about 38' from the control area.

Reliable?

If not, options in low-end projectors?

Thanks,

Chuck

Brad Weber

Re: Complete newb - wired remotes?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 03:24:59 PM »

As always, it depends.  It may work, but it may not.  For one thing, some lights can interfere with the IR signal, there are projectors that really have problems if there are fluorescent lights near their IR receiver ports that effectively wash out the port.

You could look at Xantech for some simple IR extenders, basically a small receiver at the tech position or stage that is hardwired to an emitter at the projector.

You didn't mention it, but what are you doing for a screen, projector mount and cabling?  Just a proper mount and cabling could use up a significant portion of a $900 budget.  Installation by a professional, something you should not skip since you're hanging the projector over people's heads, should be also be considered a necessary part of the budget.  And don;t forget to budget for lamps, it is always a good idea to have a spare on hand.

Also, how much light is on the screen?  Just don't let yourself fall into the trap of spending what budget you have for something that doesn't really work and no money left versus waiting a little longer to get more money to purchase something that works.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 04:46:59 PM »

Some projectors have RS-232 or network control.  We just ran and RS-232 cable from the projector to the computer.  The amount of control you get depends on the projector.  I just set up 3 icons on the desktop for On, Off, and Shutter.  Works great.  The remote works, but it's not as reliable.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 10:25:59 PM »

I am with brad in waiting a little longer to get the right tool for the job.

In that vien I _really_ like this little eiki gem.

http://www.eiki.com/Products/EZ-250/Default.aspx

Pair it with a RS-232 capable projector and you have one professional little controller.

street price for you should put it between 500~600$

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 10:25:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.