ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vertical Projector?  (Read 14068 times)

Josh Coble

• http://www.joshcoble.net
Vertical Projector?
« on: May 10, 2007, 09:17:11 PM »

Is there such thing as vertically mounting a projector? (As in sideways)? one hundred and eighty degrees?!?! and the image (by some grace of God) be turned and corrected? Maybe I haven't done all of my research on this, but when I was asked that, my first instinct was to say,"NO! thats ludacris"...now if I am wrong, I will humbly admit it with the best of 'em and take my licks...but, if some of you would gladly share some insight on this matter, I would appreciate it. Thanks guys and gals...

Aaron McQueen

Re: Vertical Projector?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:42:27 PM »

I'm a little confused by your question, but if your talking about hanging the projector upside down and then flipping the image, most projectors allow for this.  They usually have a ceiling mount setting.  Most also have a rear setting which will give a mirror image for rear projecting.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Josh Coble

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 12:53:26 AM »

Aaron,

well, man I'll try to be a little clearer. Imagine ceiling mounting your projector upside down like normal. Ok, now disconnect it from the mount and hang it vertically. (as in up and down). If you can imagine the same projected image as I can, the image coming from this sideways mounted projector is also sideways.If it is possible to hang a projector like this, how canthe image be turned and who makes it? I still don't believe it can, but I would like someone who could re-affirm my theory. Thanks, hope someone can shed light on the situation.
Secondly, is it possible to mount a projector outside of the screen width and center it? Lens shift won't do this? I'll post a link with some photos to describe more in depth of what I'm talking about....hope it will help.

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 01:01:28 PM »

It can be done, but with very limited results and probably limited life for the projector.

What you would probably have to do is use an outboard processor to remap the image with it turned sideways.  However, since now the projector's native image "height" is the projected image "width", you will end up with a smaller final image.  Say you have a projector that gives a 60"x80" image, turned sideways and with the image rotated 90 degrees you would end up with a 45"X60" image that has been severely processed.

Projector are also designed for specific mounting arrangements.  So do not like being angled up or down any great amount, much less turned on their sides.  I can't say for sure, but I would think this could certainly affect the stability and reliability of the projector.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Greg Hertfelder

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 02:44:38 AM »

Josh
In your original post, you asked if it was possible to mount a projector "one hundred and eighty degrees", which was the cause of the confusion. Since there are only 360 degrees in a circle, that means that the projector would be upside down. Did you mean to say 180 degrees or 90 degrees?

As Aaron mentioned, most all projectors are capable of being used on a table, or rotated 180-degrees for ceiling mounting. If you actually meant "90 degrees", I would be very concerned about ventilation. The lamp in a projector gets very hot and stability of the projector relies on proper cooling, and circuit boards are laid out so that heat from the lamp does not overheat processing components.

As Brad mentioned, there are probably companies that would re-map the pixel outputs. The first company I can think of would be RGB Spectrum (www.rgb.com), who makes unique devices for the display industry. Very high dollar.

Effects like rotation are common to the standard definition (SD) - interlacing - television world, and it would be easy to find a device that would rotate the image 90 degrees - but at great quality sacrifice.

A number of LCD and plasma panels are capable of displaying graphics rotated 90 degrees. Panasonic introduced a plasma or LCD monitor this year at NAB convention that is 108" diagonal and just stunning.

But think of the software repercussions. Every display software made today is modeled for 4:3 or 16:9 (horizontal:vertical) aspect ratio - not 3:4 or 9:16.

Josh Coble

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 03:53:50 PM »

thanks to all who chimed in on my question. I did mean to say 90 degrees in my first post. So, as I understand it, it would be more trouble to mount this projector sideways than it would to be mounted the way God inteneded them to be when you ceiling mount them - upside down! that pretty much answers my question. Thanks again.

Brad Weber

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 09:38:33 AM »

Greg Hertfelder wrote on Sat, 12 May 2007 02:44

Panasonic introduced a plasma or LCD monitor this year at NAB convention that is 108" diagonal and just stunning.

I think the model you are noting is part of their professional line and is a 103" plasma (I believe that all Panasonic commercial/public displays are plasma) with a modest $69,995 list price.  I don't think you'll find this particular model at the local Circuit City!
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 12:51:41 AM »

Brad Weber wrote on Mon, 14 May 2007 09:38

Greg Hertfelder wrote on Sat, 12 May 2007 02:44

Panasonic introduced a plasma or LCD monitor this year at NAB convention that is 108" diagonal and just stunning.

I think the model you are noting is part of their professional line and is a 103" plasma (I believe that all Panasonic commercial/public displays are plasma) with a modest $69,995 list price.  I don't think you'll find this particular model at the local Circuit City!

....... But they will be happy to custom order it for you!

On a (Slightly) more serious note, I once walked into bestbuy (just for the fun of it) and asked them to price me there 3x3 RPTV video wall. One phone call later and they estimated that they could do it in a few weeks for a paltry 180'000$. Maybe I just asked the right person Smile.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Tim Urner

• http://www.steeplesoundavl.com
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 08:00:43 PM »

My first response was like...wow what a cool idea. That would be a cool effects set up a vertical mounted projector AND screen, for artistic stuff. (sorry still recovering from Willow Creeks Arts Conf.) Very Happy Just reconfigure your jpgs for portrait mode

Then from reading the posts I found that it seems like you were still trying to do a standard format image. So my response is its not practical.

Tim

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 08:00:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.