ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV SX250 as a wedge  (Read 5286 times)

Patrick Campbell BMI

• Jury's Out Rock Band
EV SX250 as a wedge
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »

Hey Gang,

Hope all is well as we get ready for summer season........finally !

Does anyone out there use powered EV SX250's for wedges.

I play in a band and we are all in-ears except the guitar player- for him I use an Yammy 15 (1000 watt version) powered by a QSC RMX 850 and a 31 band EQ

I am thinkin on pickin up a EV and using it with just the EQ in line for his wedge.

He is not complaining, I just heard this SX250 box full range on a DJ job and it sounded amazing. Was wondering how it fairs on monitor duty

Thanks and have a great summer everyone !!

Patrick

Ben Lawrence

• VT AUDIO VISUAL
Re: EV SX250 as a wedge
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:14:35 PM »

I have 4 of them and use them as wedges occasionally with no complaints. I know Marlow Wlson another user here has a grip of them and has probably used them more extensively.  He might be able to give you some more critical observations.  Seems like with your setup its a no brainer. Its not the lightest speaker around but if your lugging the yamaha 15v ad an amp rack its one less trip. You might even be able to sell that stuff off and break close to even if you buy used.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:20:03 PM by Ben Lawrence »

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:33:33 PM »

I have one SXA250 that I use for a monitor all the time, I think they sound incredible.
The angle is a little off if you want to be right on top of the monitor, but if that is not an issue for you then you will be fine.
I also find the majority of the time I don't need to run any EQ on that cab, you can make minor tweaks using the High/Low EQ on the cab itself.
Vocals & guitar sound great, I wish I had found these sooner as all of my monitors would be these.

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:33:59 AM »

Hi,
I have a couple of SXA250. These are great sounding wdges. Iahve been using two of them every week-end for the last three years, and they never missed a beat.

A month ago a put two (a salsa band), for the two trombone players, they were very happy with the sound of these cabs.

The cabinets are very very well build, I even once inserted one into a 220 V socket, just changed the fuse and it was up and running again.

These powered boxes don`t gave the big output digital amps. that most of the popular powered cabinets have now a days, but don`t be suprises if they are up there with these new cabs when it comes to volume !

Renard from Curacao

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 12:31:08 AM »

I have 4 of them and use them as wedges occasionally with no complaints. I know Marlow Wlson another user here has a grip of them and has probably used them more extensively.  He might be able to give you some more critical observations.  Seems like with your setup its a no brainer. Its not the lightest speaker around but if your lugging the yamaha 15v ad an amp rack its one less trip. You might even be able to sell that stuff off and break close to even if you buy used.

I have 12 of them and use them on just about everything.  I also have FBT 4a's that I use for DJ SOS rental duty which are better suited to that application due to their light weight and single low frequency bump that many folks perceive as 'bass'.  As monitors the EV's work well within their limits, but you must keep in mind that this isn't a 'rip-your-head-off' loud rock 'n roll monitor.  I like that they are wood, look nice, sound good and don't have any stupid bright blue lights. I don't like that they are heavy, require special parts for flying/rigging, and I find the detents on the low/high controls to be a bit uncertain. 

Overall they've been very good to me. If I was looking at new stuff I would consider the Yamaha DSR and EV Live-X within the budget and slightly heavy but good sounding category.  If I find a great lightweight box that will beet the versatility and ROI of both the FBT's and Sxa250's I'll be happy to sell my current stock and make the switch.  So far the new stuff isn't able to do anything my well used stock of speakers can't within the applications I use them. 

In 5 years of regular use just one amp module had a failure, which was after use with a cheap power inverter and covered under warranty.  Everything else has been flawless. 

I hope that helps you in one way or another.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 12:31:08 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.