ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of questions from a new sound director.  (Read 4082 times)

Aaron McQueen

Re: A couple of questions from a new sound director.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 06:59:03 AM »

Quote:

Analyzation Tools?
I think my first task will be obtaining an RTA so I can spend some time analyzing the room, and perhaps keeping some frequency logs for a few months to get a grip on the new line arrays, and work on boosting the choir mic's.

So question 1 is which RTA would you recommend? A nice portable little RTA/DB meter would be nice. But at the same time, a really great software program would be good too, so I can keep some records and review graphs. Any advice is appreciated. I don't know what type of hardware I would need to install in my computer to get a mic in available on board, so some advice there would be good too. And if there is any other analyzation products that you might recommend, please do so.

Hopefully the Meyer line arrays were installed and tuned properly.  If not tuned, (meaning alignment, equalization, crossover settings, etc.) get that done by a professional, and then leave it alone.  I'm guessing there is a DSP in the system.  If done properly, you should not have to change it.  The eq on your board should be able to get you where you need to be on your choir mics.  If not, then something else is wrong, such as mic placement or choice.

After that is done and you still would like to measure the system, consider Smaart, and then spend many hours learning how to use it and trying to digest the output before making any system changes.

By the way I would love to have some Meyer line arrays.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 10:43:24 AM »

Compressor:  KT Square One

Compressors shoould be INSERTED on the channel strip or subgroup. Never on an AUX send.

Be sure the Reverb is using a POST FADER aux send.

Brad Weber

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 05:27:30 AM »

Can you clarify the statement that "there are about $50,000 worth of meyer line arrays on the way to the church"?  I hope it is not just that someone heard them being shipped in.  If you are spending that type of money, then hopefully someone carefully analyzed and selected the speaker system to fit your application and a qualified professional is installing, aiming and tuning (being Meyer, possibly with SIM) the system as part of the installation.  Depending on what it replaces, hopefully the new system also includes appropriate processing and amplification.

I am not clear on what you are trying to accomplish with an RTA or analysis tools.   You mentioned keeping some records and viewing graphs, but what are you really trying to do with an analysis package?  I agree with Aaron that something like Smaart that lets you view the actual system response real time is probably going to be much more useful.

Quote:

The room seats about 1,200, and it's not horrible, but it wasn't designed with acoustics in mind either. I have a decent budget at my disposal... not something I can give you in actual numbers, but when I need something, aside from a console or speakers, I can usually get it. Now, with that in mind, lets proceed...

Something here jumps out at me.  You have a good sized room that sounds like it has acoustical issues but you are worried about nuances in the mix, are getting $50,000 worth of line arrays and have a decent budget to spend on more equipment.  Have you considered perhaps taking some of the money you are spending on gear and instead trying to fix or improve the room?  Please take this as being stereotyped statement that may not apply to you, but you noted a studio background and my experience is that people with primarily studio/recording/production backgrounds sometimes tend to focus on individual elements rather than the system as a whole.  They also do not always consider the room as being such a critical part of the reproduction of live sound.  You will get a lot more from, and have much greater control of, your effects and mix if the room and system are well behaved to start with.  In fact, some of your reverb issues could be inherent in the existing room and system.  With the existing system it may be that any increases in level or electronic reverb may simply drive the room harder and excite the natural acoustics of the room.  So you may want to consider getting a better base to work from before moving on to subtle nuances in the mix.  You might also want to wait until you hear the new speaker system before making too many other changes.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Josh Rose

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 09:47:58 PM »

Thanks Brad. I do appreciate that input.

The problem is that I am not yet the sound director. I was not involved with the decision to purchase the line arrays. The worship pastor brought in a handful of audio analysts, and they determined we should replace the speakers and amps.

Had it been my choice, I most certainly would have wanted to get ahold of the arrays. But I also have some major issues with the room. For example, there is a wall behind the stage which is just plaster. The wedges on stage shoot right off of it, and I would love to correct that. However, decision like that are not easily made at my church. I don't believe I would get the ok to make that happen.

So I really am trying to consider everything that needs to be addressed, but I can only get away with what the Pastoral staff will agree with. And anything that involves cosmetic changes is hard to come by.

Brad Weber

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 08:48:27 AM »

I actually meant waiting until you can hear the new speaker system is installed and tuned, not just auditioning the speakers themselves.  The new system will have not only have a different sound due to the speakers and system tuning, but will also interact with the room differently.  If you had qualified professionals agree that you needed a new speaker system and one was properly selected and designed (and is properly installed, adjusted and tuned), then you may experience some pretty dramatic changes.  The natural reverb, clarity of the worship leader, etc. will likely change.  Since the speaker changes are apparently already in progress, then waiting until you can hear the new system in your room to see what other changes you might want to make seems logical.

It sounds like the new speaker system is a pretty major change for your church and could significantly affect your sound, potentially much more than what compressor or effect settings you use.  Even if you weren't part of the decision or feel it is 'out of your hands', as Assistant Sound Director these changes will directly affect you, as Sound Director they will be something that you will likely be having to live with, and be responsible for, for some time.  I personally would certainly want to try to learn as much as possible about the new speaker system.  It would be unusual, and expensive, to bring in a "handful of audio analysts" to do a thorough analysis, but a handful of contractors to provide bids or quotes would be pretty common.  So maybe try to find out what is actually happening, how they arrived at this particular solution, what is being provided (not just equipment, but also installation, testing, adjustments, training, documentation, etc.) and what are the expected results.  That may help significantly in considering future plans.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Josh Rose

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 09:27:27 AM »

Thanks Brad,

I certainly plan to do so. I have been kept in the information loop, and I will be present when everything is installed, trying to take in as much as I can.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 09:27:27 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.