ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Systems, Shure vs. AT  (Read 11272 times)

Jack Kontney

Re: Wireless Systems, Shure vs. AT
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 02:11:26 PM »

Since this is for a fixed installation, the choice you make is probably non-critical. Although the metro area and total number of simultaneous RF channels may modify that.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT be influenced by the products you see used on award shows. This is actually a quasi-random mix of rider preferences, endorsement requirements, and personal/technical preferences of the production staff.

That said, the fact that the Big 3 (A-T, Sennheiser, Shure) are the only ones you see does at least tell you that any of them is likely up to the task. There's too much at stake to use anything dicey.

Personally, I regard this as a two-horse race in terms of the technical abilities of the top systems from these manufacturers. And those two horses are Shure and Sennheiser. This is especially true in terms of computer monitoring, frequency selection/agility, etc.

Now, is the AT 5000 competitive in terms of sound quality, reliability and features you are likely to need? Yes, absolutely. As you can see in this thread, there are plenty of happy AT users out there. But when the price difference is that huge, it's for a reason. TANSTAAFL.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:14:40 PM by Jack Kontney »

Luther Bell

• Luther Bell - Freelance A/V Technician
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 10:01:55 AM »

I have worked with both systems and prefer Shure.  I have also worked with a company that said "We are a AT dealer and we don't use them on shows, that should tell you something."

My biggest issue with any of the AT handhelds that I have seen in the 3000, 4000 or 5000 line is the way the case threads onto the mic.  If you can, get your hands on one of the handhelds before you buy it and see how you feel about it.  There is a shell that slides on and covers 3/4 of the handheld and then twists onto some threading just below the capsule.  I have used handhelds that thread great, and some that feel like there is dirt (but there isn't) in the threads. 

We had a 5000 series HH stop threading and we couldn't get the shell off with any level of force so we had to ship it in for repair.  Also, depending on the use, I have seen HHs with stripped threads, something I have never seen on a UHF-R.

One last thing to look for is batteries.  I know the UHF-R and AT 5000s both take AAs, but it's always something to keep in mind.  All of the AT3000-5000 series mics use AAs but if you go down the line from UHF-Rs the ULXs use 9v.

+1 on the number of "keystrokes" it takes to lock a transmitter.  AT has a mini menu system that you have to navigate through where Shure has a simple "hold this button, then press this button" system.

Have fun making the decision.
Luther Bell
Freelance A/V Technician
www.lutherbell.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 10:01:55 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.