ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Training for the sound man  (Read 2636 times)

Michael Hipp

Training for the sound man
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:08:09 PM »

Hello, first post.

I'm the sound man for our church. I have an Electrical Engineering degree but no training on operating a sound system. Anyone know somewhere I could get some good training? We're a fairly small church so our needs aren't that complex, but I'd like to do a competent job at this.

I'll probably do this on my own nickel so nothing too elaborate (pronounced "expensive") would be preferred.

Thanks from Arkansas.

Aaron McQueen

Re: Training for the sound man
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:34:42 PM »

Read this forum and the Study Hall articles. - Free

Try the SMS iCD - $149
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

andrew gissing

• http://www.stylusra.com.au
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »

I don't know if this is mentioned in study hall, but you could also spend time at other churchs; ones with knowledgeable sound guys.

You could try; ask if other churchs in area can lend a hand - send someone your way for a period of time.

don't dismiss secular stuff as well; pubs, clubs; you could learn stuff by helping out sound guys there - either loading in/out or with venue's that have installed systems.

You could try hooking up with local PA/production companies and basically ask to hang out, help out and be able to ask questions.

Andrew

Tom Young

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 07:44:45 AM »

Others have given good advice.

Those of us who have done this for a living for a long time got our experience by going out and "doing sound" at all levels (of size and quality) and observing the worthwhile skills that other folks have while - at the same time - sorting out those practices that were counter-productive and should be avoided. Along this journey you gain empathy for the musicians' needs and develop an intuitive sense of the physics involved. This process is (in general) not available to the beginning church sound person, either because they have a full time life already or they will not work in those (secular) circles ..... or both. But the only real way you learn the art-science and hands-on part of live sound mixing and system operation, etc, is by doing it.

For a very solid introduction into the physics of audio and acoustics, nothing comes close to SynAudCon, who have been educating folks like me, Ivan, Mac, Brad, Aaron and the other "knowledgeable geezers" (that participate here and are successful in the field) for decades. After you attend one of their classes you then receive their bi-monthly Tech Topics and can subscribe to their listserv. This is very important because your (our) education needs to continue. They try their best and do a good job at hitting all areas of the US. But the chances are that you will have to travel some distance and the combined cost (the course, travel, hotel) is not low. It is worth every penny, however.

I recently did a church project where the volunteer sound guy (who is also an EE) took it upon himself to attend the SynAudCon seminar for sound system operators. What a huge blessing this was for him, his church and for me.  www.synaudcon.com

There are also church expo / trade shows that are presented around the US and they often offer classes. But these gatherings seem to be concentrated "down south" and you have to search for them. The quality of the classes varies quite a bit.

HTH
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Stephen Maloney

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 01:33:54 AM »

Hey guys,

was just wondering if anyone knew of a source for SMS iCD for a person living in Australia? or even some good places for training?

wrong forum hey?... worth a try Smile

John Ward

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 07:34:59 AM »

www.allprosound.com   Make sure you get the interactive CD.

Professional Audio Systems
www.proaudiointegration.com

Stephen Maloney

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 09:41:28 AM »

they deliver overseas?

John Ward

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 09:52:04 AM »

Sorry - I just called my rep at APS - they don't ship that product overseas and don't know anyone who does.
My bad.
Professional Audio Systems
www.proaudiointegration.com

Brad Weber

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 12:23:55 PM »

I'd also look at Yamaha's Sound Reinforcement Handbook and Guide to Sound Systems for Worship.  These don't really address how to operate a system, but they can be excellent resources for a background to understanding the system components, the language and some of the general concepts and issues.  And they're relatively inexpensive.

Everyone seems to have very good luck 'picking the brains' of others in the area.  Attend some events or services and other churches and get to know some of their people, they will usually be happy to talk to someone who shows an interest and appreciation.  It sometimes helps to approach them with a compliment, something like "That really sounded great!  How did you address (insert issue here)?  My church always has a problem with that."
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

John Warren

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 10:42:21 PM »

As with Brad"s sugestion of Yamaha's "Sound Reinforcement Handbook" ISBN:# 0-88188-900-8. I would also get "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" by Bobby Owsinski, ISBN:# 10: 1-59863-251-S. Both books are approx $35.00 U.S.   well worth the bang for the buck. John

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 10:42:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.