ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Using a JBL Speaker Array??  (Read 2215 times)

Kevin Drysdale

Anyone Using a JBL Speaker Array??
« on: May 27, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »

Our current speaker setup is far from the best that we could have.  We are only using 2 speakers (one on each side) on pole stands.  The room is about 50'x50' and the stage is set in one of the corners.  Sound coverage isn't the best and we are lacking in the low end as we run bass, keyboards, and drums through the system.  We are needing to do a complete upgrade and are considering using the  ASB6118 subwoofer with 2 AM2212/95 LF/HF speakers in a center cluster array.  Is anyone using a similar setup willing to share their pros/cons of the setup??  I've been told that center clusters  can cause gain before feedback to be reduced considerably, is there truth to this?  Any other things I should consider before totally revamping the speaker system?  Oh...we are running a totally mono system so losing the left and right speaker is not an issue.  Thanks.

Kevin

Tom Young

Re: Anyone Using a JBL Speaker Array??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 07:16:48 AM »

"We are needing to do a complete upgrade and are considering using the ASB6118 subwoofer with 2 AM2212/95 LF/HF speakers in a center cluster array."

Make sure the fullrange ldspkrs are appropriate for the coverage needed. If these are 90-degree H ldspkrs, you will have too wide coverage with two of them and based on your corner stage location.

"I've been told that center clusters can cause gain before feedback to be reduced considerably, is there truth to this?"

Yes. Loudspeakers combined side-by-side into a cluster will exhibit "down lobes" of LF energy which is usually where the podium mic is and is usually where the pastor walks with his lav or headset mic.

The solution is to split these loudspeakers apart so they do not sum in this manner.

"Any other things I should consider before totally revamping the speaker system?"

Perhaps it would be a good idea to get someone in to design the ldspkr system, assist in rigging safety and then conduct extensive measurement and optimization once the ldspkrs are installed.

Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

John Ward

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:13:18 AM »

Speak to a professional about the AM2212 series. There are different horn patterns available in this series that would better suit your needs and desired configuration.
Professional Audio Systems
www.proaudiointegration.com

Kevin Drysdale

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 09:20:48 AM »

Thank you both for those replies.  I have been looking around in my area to try and find professionals that can help in this manner.  It seems it is a market that is either not very well advertised or lacking in our area. Smile  I will keep trying and see what I can find.  

Kevin

Tom Young

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:56:04 AM »

Perhaps if you divulge what area you are in we can recommend someone who you can contact.
Oxford CT
www.dbspl.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 11:18:05 AM »

If your room is as you say it is, then you need a TOTAL of 90* coverage, so a single 90* box or a pair of 45* boxes.  But that is not the whole story or answer.  You may need (or not need-it depends) some sidefills for the extreme Left and right coverage, I don't know as we have no other information about your room.

Things like ceiling height, seating and stage placement in relation to the possible loudspeaker placement make a difference in your correct choice/placements of loudspeakers.

As Tom has suggested, you really need to get someone in who knows what they are doing to look at your room and make REAL suggestions, not just guesses, or you will be looking at redoing your system again in the near future.

We are doing a job next week in which the church has been in their room for a little over 2 months and spent way to much on their system and we are replacing the loudspeaker system because the current one is just totally wrong for the room.  BTW the loudspeaker system we are replacing the current one with is about half the cost of what they have now FWIW.

It is a lot less expensive to have it done right, rather than just guessing on what might be "right".
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Tom Young

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 11:25:24 AM »

"If your room is as you say it is, then you need a TOTAL of 90* coverage, so a single 90* box or a pair of 45* boxes. But that is not the whole story or answer. You may need (or not need-it depends) some sidefills for the extreme Left and right coverage, I don't know as we have no other information about your room......Things like ceiling height, seating and stage placement in relation to the possible loudspeaker placement make a difference in your correct choice/placements of loudspeakers."

Adding to Ivan's wisdom:

And then there is also the issue of required vertical coverage which will vary from about 70-degrees to perhaps 90-degrees, depending on several things including cluster height and seating layout. This may mean you need two tiers (upper and lower) of loudspeakers.
Oxford CT
www.dbspl.com

Kevin Drysdale

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 04:55:07 PM »

Thanks again.  I THINK I have found a place that deals with installation stuff.  I'm waiting on more details from the company to be sure I've found someone that I can trust.  I am from Manitoba - about an hour west of Winnipeg.  I will work on a drawing (I need one anyway) and will upload it here soon so everyone can see what I am working with.  

Kevin

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 04:55:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.