ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9 Stagemix released  (Read 13417 times)

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA

Eric Dodson

Re: LS9 Stagemix released
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:01:58 AM »

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/mixers/ls9/stagemix.html

-Tim T

You Beat me to it!!! (posting that is...)
I've been looking every morning in the app store for the past few days.
I'll be hooking it up today and using it with 4 shows this weekend starting tomorrow.....
Cheers...
Eric Dodson

Albert A. Gustaveson

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:55:05 AM »

You Beat me to it!!! (posting that is...)
I've been looking every morning in the app store for the past few days.
I'll be hooking it up today and using it with 4 shows this weekend starting tomorrow.....
Cheers...
Eric Dodson

Would love to hear about your experience with it after this weekend.

Collin Donohue

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:56:41 AM »

Anyone know if they have any plans of including DCA control on the M7 app?

Regardless, I used to WANT an iPad.  Now I NEED one!

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band

tim.j.phillips

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:44:56 PM »

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/mixers/ls9/stagemix.html

-Tim T

Well, my needing to justify buying an ipad just went out the window....
Yes, I really do know what all these buttons do

Aaron_McQueen

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:46:49 AM »

I used it last night. It works well, but my biggest problem is that there is no gain control.  I would also like to be able to at least save the scene I'm on.  Other than that it's very intuitive and responsive.  It is not a replacement for studio manager on the iPad.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:44:32 AM »

I used it last night. It works well, but my biggest problem is that there is no gain control.  I would also like to be able to at least save the scene I'm on.  Other than that it's very intuitive and responsive.  It is not a replacement for studio manager on the iPad.  Let me know if you have any questions.
The one reason we use a PC wired to the LS9 and access the PC remotely (VNC) is in case of a temporary wireless connection failure, we don't have to re-sync with the LS9. Could you tell a bit about the speed of syncing to the LS9 and any latency you experienced?

Agreed that it's not a Studio Manager replacement - from Yamaha: "The software has been specifically designed to allow engineers to adjust monitor mixes from the performers' positions on stage..."

Being able see 16 channels at once using AirFader is handy, but I didn't see that I could get that kind of display from Stagemix - Did I miss it?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Charest

Aaron_McQueen

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 10:02:25 AM »

The one reason we use a PC wired to the LS9 and access the PC remotely (VNC) is in case of a temporary wireless connection failure, we don't have to re-sync with the LS9. Could you tell a bit about the speed of syncing to the LS9 and any latency you experienced?

Agreed that it's not a Studio Manager replacement - from Yamaha: "The software has been specifically designed to allow engineers to adjust monitor mixes from the performers' positions on stage..."

Being able see 16 channels at once using AirFader is handy, but I didn't see that I could get that kind of display from Stagemix - Did I miss it?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Charest

Hi Bob,

Syncing takes about 15 seconds I would say.  Setup was super easy, much easier than Studio Manager.  I used if or about an hour and never lost sync, except for when I switched apps or changed scenes on the board.  I think Yamaha should work on the switching apps problem.  Switching to another app is a pretty standard thing to do on the iPad.  As far as my human senses could detect there was no latency.   It was very responsive.

I think there is only 8 channel display.  This wasn't a big deal for me because I usually have my channels grouped as closely as I can into the groups of 8.

Eric Dodson

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »

OK Albert.......
It's not after the weekend but I used for about 6 hours last night and became pretty good with it......
It's nothing like Studio Manager and you don't have access to several things, (effect parameters or Channel view for example).
It's a condensed control surface with fader control of sends to monitors/aux's and house and having access to the channel EQ and monitor EQ..
The screen only displays 8 channels at a time and I'm ok with that since I try to group things in groups of 8 anyway...
The show last night was with a corporate party band who I've worked with several times and had a good working LS9 preset for....
All but one of the band members were using wedges and using the iPad with Stage Mix adjusting the EQ was a breeze! Not that it wasn't the first time I was ever adjusting and making changes with a tablet on a monitor mix but using the App and the iPad with my fat fingers instead a stylus pen just made it so much easier and faster. I'm typically a one man show on these small gigs and not having to go back and fourth between the console and the mic to adjust the monitor EQ just saves a bunch of time and I'm ultimately able to get a better and more sound out of the wedges without having to count on the band members to help me out.... Trust me; with my years of experience, avoid having band members help you ring out wedge's!
Assuming you've got a decent starting point or preset on your console, the iPad and Stage Mix App is just a simple adjusting tool and does not give you full console control like Studio Manager. If you need to control or change things like phantom pwr, mic pre level, comps or gates, effects, ect, then your going to have to do those things on the console surface.
Which I say again, "I'm fine with that"....!
Now if the Digico SD8 had a iPad App like this, I'd be in heaven!!
Cheers.
Eric Dodson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.