ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Projector Signals  (Read 5326 times)

Josh Coble

• http://www.joshcoble.net
Projector Signals
« on: May 07, 2007, 02:11:02 AM »

Two projectors (front left and right) are being installed into our church. Signal is going to the left projector at a distance of 150 ft. from a VGA to CATV connection. To "mirror" the same signal, it is going from VGA OUT to VGA IN to the projector on the right. I understand how to connect the two projectors to get the same signal, but I am perplexed as to how to send a DVD player signal to one projector and it go to the other. There is obviously no S-Video out or composite video out on either projector. Is there some sort of switcher? I hope I am not being too vague. I appreciate your time. Thanks.

Jeff Sickles

• http://www.sicklesinsight.com
Re: Projector Signals
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 09:26:26 AM »

Josh,

You might provide the make and model of your projectors to help answer your question. Some projectors come with a VGA out "preview" port that you can hook up to an external monitor. This could behave differently based on the projector your use. For consistent and more accurate results you might invest in a low cost VGA distribution amplifier. Sometimes these preview ports only put out an 800x600 signal - so you might consult the manual.

As far as a DVD player connection, there's multiple ways to accomplish this task. Perhaps you could look at a low cost video switcher. This would enable you to run all of your components into one piece of equipment which then can run any of the signals down the same wire to the projector. This prevents you from having to switch the inputs on both projectors each time you want to switch signal sources. This makes for a better flow during a service. If you do not frequently change sources, or interruption is not a problem, you could follow a similar course of action (distribution amplifier) for the DVD signal. This would probably be the cheapest (cost and quality) path.

You may also consider running videos from your computer to avoid switching sources. I hope this helps a little. If you post back with more specifics, there may be further help available.

Josh Coble

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:46:33 PM »

Jeff,

Thanks so much for your input. It is really valuable. The projector I am currently looking at for the dual install is the Sanyo PLC-XU48. Although I did not think of the resolution being different on the VGA output (which was an over-sight on my part) I don't see it as being a different resolution on the spec sheet.  I'll def. call the manufacture to find specifics. As for the DVD player situation, are you saying I can run s-video out from the DVD player to s-video in on projector one, and have that signal go to projector two from the VGA preview connection from projector one? I hope I didn't confuse you there and I hope I also understood you correctly.

If that doesn't work, after it leaves the switcher, how am I to get s-video inputs from one projector to another? Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places? Thanks for your advice in advance. I sure do appreciate your help, Jeff.

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »

Josh Coble wrote on Mon, 07 May 2007 02:11

Two projectors (front left and right) are being installed into our church. Signal is going to the left projector at a distance of 150 ft. from a VGA to CATV connection.

CATV connection?  That doesn't sound right.  And 150' is a long run for VGA, especially depending upon the cable used.  Who is selling and installing the projectors and did they recommend anything for signal distribution or cabling?

The Sanyo PLC-XU48 allows the second computer input to be setup as either an input or a monitor output.  When used as a monitor output it outputs only the signal from the Computer 1 input, it does not output the video inputs.  So even if you do use it as a loop-through for the computer signal you still have to address getting video to both projectors.

VGA and video/S-video distribution amplifiers (DA) would be a better approach to split the signals directly to both projectors.

I do not know how often you would be switching between computer and video sources, but it could be a little awkward having to switch one projector and then the other and waiting for them both to resync.  A seamless switcher or switcher/scaler with dual outputs might be a good solution as it would give you two outputs for the projectors and let you switch between DVD and computer without having to switch anything on the projectors.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Josh Coble

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 08:09:29 PM »

Brad,

Yeah, I realized what I typed was incorrect. My apologies. Its a VGA to Cat5 (ethernet cable) extender. Thats how I am getting VGA signal to each projector. Anywho, I am stll perplexed as to how to get one DVD player signal to two projectors. Sorry for the frustration I must be causing you pros...sitting back laughing in fustration at a newbie. I want to get into this business someday, though so I gotta get my feet wet sometime. In advance, thanks again for your help.

Brad Weber

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »

We were all there once and the more I learn, the more I realize just how much I still have to learn.  Like they say, ignorance is bliss...

Probably the easiest and least expensive method to get the DVD output to both projectors is via a Distribution Amplifier or DA.  Exactly what you need depends on what output you are using from the DVD (composite video, S-video, component video, DVI, HDMI, etc.).  For composite video, something like the Extron MDA 3V would work, for S-Video the MDA 3SV.  For very long runs, especially if one run is much longer than the other, you may want a unit with EQ such as the Extron MDA 2V EQ or MDA 4SV EQ.  This allows you to compensate for losses due to the longer cable runs.  For component video you might have to look at RGB or RGBHV DAs like the Extron IN3252HR or DA2 RGBHV.  You could probably even use one of these to distribute both component video and composite video to two projectors, using the lower bandwidth H or V sync connections for composite video.

On an indirectly related issue, are the projectors flown and, if so, who is doing that work?  You will find many comments on these forums regarding the problems with flying speakers and how this should be handled by professionals.  Those same cautions also apply to projectors, you need to use the proper hardware and installation practices as well as making sure that you are properly attaching to structural elements that you know can support the projector.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Emil Barnabas

• http://www.barnabas.com
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 11:29:32 PM »

Get a switcher/scaler. This is a piece of equipment that accepts inputs from computers, S-video, composite video, etc. and allows you to switch between the inputs to a single VGA output. Put the switcher on the table near the computer and DVD player and switch between the two. Keep the wiring to the projectors as you have them now.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 11:29:32 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.