ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting Board to Camera  (Read 5584 times)

Derek Harkins

• http://www.faithchristianag.com
Re: Connecting Board to Camera
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »

I am using a XL1 without a XLR adapter this is what I have been doing and it works great.

I use a TS cable out of the TRS AUX jack to a DI box (I use this to ground the signal as I do not run the camera on a Bat so I get a hum without it.)  I then use a homemade cable that is a XLR (M) coming of the DI box on one side and is a 1/8 TRS (M) on the other side that I plug into the cam.  (I am not sure what the pin set up is on XLR to 1/8.  By doing this I get a noise free signal that is Mono to the cam on both the L and R channel of the recording.  I am sure their are many better ways to do this but I works for me....
Derek Harkins
Faith Christian Church
Assemby of God
VT, USA
"The Frozen Chosen"

http://www.quietzonesd.info/images/quietzone%5B1%5D.jpg

Ira White

• http://www.sanctuarysound.com
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 03:20:18 PM »

That's the ticket, Derek. The DI needs to be passive since they'll go both ways, and the hot (pin #2) of the XLR goes to the hot (tip) of 1/8" or RCA. Good suggestion.
Ira White
Sanctuary Sound, Inc.

Greg Hertfelder

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 01:49:15 AM »

Radio Shack used to offer an unbalanced RCA-to-mini-phone TS cable with a built-in pad (attenuator) for this scenario, but couldn't find it on thier web site. Also, there would not be transformer isolation, opening the door for hum scenarios.

The passive direct box solution is a resourceful and economical idea that accomodates the need for transformer isolation, ground lift switching and line-to-mic level conversion. (Thanks, Derek)

So, permit me to summarize: The output of the console is -10dB unbalanced (1/4" phone) and the camcorder (mini-phone TS) is looking for around -50dB unbalanced. The disparity between the -10dB console output and the -50dB camcorder sensitivity resulted in overdriving and distortion. The Aux4 output needs to be connected to the 1/4" phone jack of a passive direct box, and create a cable with the following connections for the direct box-to-camcorder mic input:
XLR pin3 to mini-phone sleeve
XLR pin2 to mini-phone tip
small jumper wire between XLR pin1 to XLR pin 3 (mini-phone sleeve)
XLR case tab - no connection
If hum results on camcorder, flip the direct box Ground Lift switch to the opposite position. Or, if there is not a switch on the direct box, snip/unsolder the XLR pin1 jumper.

Like Scott, I have been using a Beachtek interface box for years and prefer it to work-arounds for a number of reasons:
- The box is ready to go out of the box and does not require the fabrication of custom cables.
- The box mechanically fits between the tripod and camcorder so it won't get accidentally unplugged. (If I had a nickel for every time a 1/4" phone plug got accidentally jerked out of the jack...)
- The box will accommodate XLR mic and line level inputs with the flip of a switch, can also supply phantom power for condenser mics should the need arise, and has Ground Lift switch, capable of instantly eliminating hum.
- Current offerings include an L.E.D VU meter, so you can see overdriving peaks easier.

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 08:16:11 PM »

Quote:

The output of the console is -10dB unbalanced (1/4" phone) and the camcorder (mini-phone TS) is looking for around -50dB unbalanced. The disparity between the -10dB console output and the -50dB camcorder sensitivity resulted in overdriving and distortion.

While I understand this, what I don't understand is why the meters on the camera were not clipping.  The question is where are the meters located in the chain.

Also I ordered the Beachtek DXA-2, and I set it up on the camera.  It seemed to fix the problem.  Thanks everyone for the input.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 11:27:59 PM »

Here are the results, I think we have a good level now, and I just add a bit more compresion with some make up gain in post edit.  Other than that and for length, the video is unedited.  Let me know what you think, any suggestions?

http://www.laurelfirstassembly.org/?cat=2

If anyone else is starting to video their services, make sure you get a good fluid head tripod, it makes a huge difference.  Now I'm looking for a zoom control.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Kevin Pippen

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 12:04:02 AM »

Aaron,...Bravo!!! I just viewed "Have you experienced the Holy Spirit"... This is an excellent piece of video and audio work!!!

I hope to achieve this level of excellence some day...

Excellent job!!!

Kevin
http://www.teamaai.net/kevin/nipper.jpg
Hey Nipper,...we need more power!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 12:04:02 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.