ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundman Aptitude Test  (Read 7416 times)

Ivan Beaver

Re: Soundman Aptitude Test
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 08:11:04 PM »

I am sure there are people out there who could pass the test, but yet still not be able to actually mix.  They can tell what is wrong with other peoples mixes, but somehow cannot hear their own.

Maybe you are one of those Laughing Just kidding ya know.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Mike Grimm

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 01:20:48 AM »

Ivan...take the test...do not fear.   Very Happy   I am learning about internet marketing but being an old dog, I probably will not change.  I will not have samples on my site because I cannot control the listening environment.  A cheap laptop speaker will be translated as, "the creator of this program does not believe in anything below 200hz!!"

A NEW PRODUCT is caught in the dilemma of being NEW therefore it takes time to get established and accepted.  Thankfully guys like Tom Young and Curt Taipale responded with an open mind.

My site will be changed by the end of the week to include testimonials from several churches that have successfully used the program.  I know that the program is not inexpensive, but  right now, I would like to be advertising my product instead of selling it.

This project was never a 'get rich quick' scheme.  It was the results of years of installation frustration that finally hit home once I stepped back and looked.  I look forward to your evaluation of the product.

Mike Grimm

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 08:48:59 AM »

Quote:

I will not have samples on my site because I cannot control the listening environment. A cheap laptop speaker will be translated as, "the creator of this program does not believe in anything below 200hz!!"

I agree that it would be nice to have some sample questions.  You also can't control the listening environment of the end user.  Why not post some samples and then say that the samples are best heard with headphones, the same way you recommend headphones for the final product.  Most people have a set of headphones laying around they can use for their computer.

Quote:

A NEW PRODUCT is caught in the dilemma of being NEW therefore it takes time to get established and accepted. Thankfully guys like Tom Young and Curt Taipale responded with an open mind.

I respect the opinions of both Tom and Curt, but it makes it difficult to buy products, especially for churches, when some type of demo is not available.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Mike Grimm

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »

Hi Aaron,
I am truly torn by the 'samples' issue. The first track of the TEST cd gives a great deal of instruction and three reference samples so the listener can set his tone controls to his liking.  The listener is also instructed that headphones are a good option.

I may change my mind on the subject (in time).

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 08:36:34 PM »

I finally got around to taking the test.  The only questions I missed were the ones in which the "correct" answer was nothing was wrong and one of the other "hard" vocal mix questions that was hard to pick out.

As I listened to the "nothing wrong" tracks, I gues it would be a matter of personal opinion (isn't all mixing?) but I would have preferred to have an instrument or two just a tad down in the mix, so I was really just looking for something, being extra picky.

Overall I liked the test, expecially the 2nd cd in which the answers were discussed and results were presented.  You can learn a bit just from listening to the answers.

I thought the scoring was also done well, with different "stages" of correct answers and guidence with them.

I also agree that it might (I said might) be a bit pricy, but for an organization such as a church who has no way to determine how good any of their volunteers are, it can help weed them out, without having to go through bad services in order to determine that.  

What is the value of that?  in that case, the price of the test is not so expensive, if it helps to save a service-or a couple.

Of ocurse the real problem with this test is that it does exactly what it says it can do-help identify how well a person can hear what is wrong.  The second part of the problem (which cannot be addressed by the test) is do they have the apptitude to actually correct/fix the problems they hear?  I guess that is the part where the "additional training" is talked about.

As I talk about in my training classes, identifying that something is wrong is step 1, THEN you go to the next step and try to determine what is wrong with what you said doesn't sound right.  If you tell that the pastor sounds like he is in a bucket, then knowing how to adjust the EQ is not going to help you.

Nice job Mike.  A unique product that people can actually use.  I am going to suggest it to many of our customers.

The problem is that many churches have soundpeople who are in charge of things and can talk quite a story, but cannot actually mix and blame it on other things-so they would probably not pass the test.

That is another story/issue.

BTW the speech parts are well recorded and would make a nice test for a sound system, I plan on using some of them this way-it also helps promote the CD, if Mike does not have a problem with that.  Obviously not the answer parts Shocked .
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 08:36:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.