Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Wiring the ring on a TRS plug to the tip of a TS plug.

(1/3) > >>

Josh Duke:
Hello!

I've tried the search function, but to no avail.  I would like to know how to wire up an instrument cable so that I can plug into an acoustic guitar, take only the signal from the pickup wired to the "ring" of the output jack, and be able to plug the other end into a DI or preamp as I would a typical mono instrument cable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

bruce gering:

--- Quote from: Josh Duke on April 13, 2011, 09:32:35 am ---Hello!

I've tried the search function, but to no avail.  I would like to know how to wire up an instrument cable so that I can plug into an acoustic guitar, take only the signal from the pickup wired to the "ring" of the output jack, and be able to plug the other end into a DI or preamp as I would a typical mono instrument cable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

--- End quote ---

Why would you want the signal only from the ring? Doesn't make sense, the output will 6db lower. If that's what you're after, there are more conventional ways to accomplish this.

Josh Duke:

--- Quote from: bruce gering on April 13, 2011, 09:38:07 am ---Why would you want the signal only from the ring? Doesn't make sense, the output will 6db lower. If that's what you're after, there are more conventional ways to accomplish this.

--- End quote ---

Because I have a UST pickup wired to one conductor and an SBT wired to the other.  There are times when I don't want to use the UST pickup and I don't want to use an insert cable with just one of the TS ends plugged in.  Sometimes I like to use the UST.  Sometimes, I use both.

Dave Dermont:
You state the solution is in your original post.

Wire the conductor from the tip of the TS connector to the ring of the TRS connector. The shield will be the same on both ends.

This will be a special purpose cable, and should be very well labeled as such.

This type of cable is sometimes used with an outboard mic preamp/channel strip type of device if you wish to bypass a console's on-board preamp. You connect the TS connector to the output of the preamp and the TRS to the input channel insert jack. This avoids connecting your fancy mic preamp to the the console's junky mic preamp.

Why not use the console's line input? A whole lot of console line inputs are just inputs to the mic preamp with a pad in front of it, that's why.

Josh Duke:

--- Quote from: Dave Dermont on April 13, 2011, 11:12:07 am ---You state the solution is in your original post.

Wire the conductor from the tip of the TS connector to the ring of the TRS connector. The shield will be the same on both ends.

This will be a special purpose cable, and should be very well labeled as such.

This type of cable is sometimes used with an outboard mic preamp/channel strip type of device if you wish to bypass a console's on-board preamp. You connect the TS connector to the output of the preamp and the TRS to the input channel insert jack. This avoids connecting your fancy mic preamp to the the console's junky mic preamp.

Why not use the console's line input? A whole lot of console line inputs are just inputs to the mic preamp with a pad in front of it, that's why.

--- End quote ---

Thank you!  This confirms what I thought originally.  I just wasn't sure if there were any special considerations.

Just to clarify a bit: I am using this cable live on stage for my guitar that has two different pickups in it.  I sometimes use one or the other, or both.  I want to make this cable so I can simply plug my guitar into my DI using one simple cable like a typical guitar cable with the exception of only using the pickup wired as the second source.  This is not two pickups wired together for mono output, but rather two pickups wired to a stereo jack allowing independent use.

Thanks again!

Josh

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version