ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiring the ring on a TRS plug to the tip of a TS plug.  (Read 10609 times)

Josh Duke

• Boston, MA
Wiring the ring on a TRS plug to the tip of a TS plug.
« on: April 13, 2011, 09:32:35 AM »

Hello!

I've tried the search function, but to no avail.  I would like to know how to wire up an instrument cable so that I can plug into an acoustic guitar, take only the signal from the pickup wired to the "ring" of the output jack, and be able to plug the other end into a DI or preamp as I would a typical mono instrument cable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

bruce gering

Re: Wiring the ring on a TRS plug to the tip of a TS plug.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:38:07 AM »

Hello!

I've tried the search function, but to no avail.  I would like to know how to wire up an instrument cable so that I can plug into an acoustic guitar, take only the signal from the pickup wired to the "ring" of the output jack, and be able to plug the other end into a DI or preamp as I would a typical mono instrument cable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

Why would you want the signal only from the ring? Doesn't make sense, the output will 6db lower. If that's what you're after, there are more conventional ways to accomplish this.

Josh Duke

• Boston, MA
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »

Why would you want the signal only from the ring? Doesn't make sense, the output will 6db lower. If that's what you're after, there are more conventional ways to accomplish this.

Because I have a UST pickup wired to one conductor and an SBT wired to the other.  There are times when I don't want to use the UST pickup and I don't want to use an insert cable with just one of the TS ends plugged in.  Sometimes I like to use the UST.  Sometimes, I use both.

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »

You state the solution is in your original post.

Wire the conductor from the tip of the TS connector to the ring of the TRS connector. The shield will be the same on both ends.

This will be a special purpose cable, and should be very well labeled as such.

This type of cable is sometimes used with an outboard mic preamp/channel strip type of device if you wish to bypass a console's on-board preamp. You connect the TS connector to the output of the preamp and the TRS to the input channel insert jack. This avoids connecting your fancy mic preamp to the the console's junky mic preamp.

Why not use the console's line input? A whole lot of console line inputs are just inputs to the mic preamp with a pad in front of it, that's why.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Josh Duke

• Boston, MA
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 01:47:58 PM »

You state the solution is in your original post.

Wire the conductor from the tip of the TS connector to the ring of the TRS connector. The shield will be the same on both ends.

This will be a special purpose cable, and should be very well labeled as such.

This type of cable is sometimes used with an outboard mic preamp/channel strip type of device if you wish to bypass a console's on-board preamp. You connect the TS connector to the output of the preamp and the TRS to the input channel insert jack. This avoids connecting your fancy mic preamp to the the console's junky mic preamp.

Why not use the console's line input? A whole lot of console line inputs are just inputs to the mic preamp with a pad in front of it, that's why.

Thank you!  This confirms what I thought originally.  I just wasn't sure if there were any special considerations.

Just to clarify a bit: I am using this cable live on stage for my guitar that has two different pickups in it.  I sometimes use one or the other, or both.  I want to make this cable so I can simply plug my guitar into my DI using one simple cable like a typical guitar cable with the exception of only using the pickup wired as the second source.  This is not two pickups wired together for mono output, but rather two pickups wired to a stereo jack allowing independent use.

Thanks again!

Josh

Jason Vanick

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 02:18:15 PM »

Thank you!  This confirms what I thought originally.  I just wasn't sure if there were any special considerations.

Just to clarify a bit: I am using this cable live on stage for my guitar that has two different pickups in it.  I sometimes use one or the other, or both.  I want to make this cable so I can simply plug my guitar into my DI using one simple cable like a typical guitar cable with the exception of only using the pickup wired as the second source.  This is not two pickups wired together for mono output, but rather two pickups wired to a stereo jack allowing independent use.

Thanks again!

Josh

why don't you just grab a TRS connector, and solder the shield to the ring, and the inner conductor to the Ring terminal. 

Easy as pie... probably don't even know how to solder very well to be successful.  (although it would help).

as far as a soldering project goes, this is a pretty safe one, the worst that happens is you get no audio... versus trying to do it with an amp cable and shorting out your amp.

-J

Josh Duke

• Boston, MA
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 02:25:10 PM »

why don't you just grab a TRS connector, and solder the shield to the ring, and the inner conductor to the Ring terminal...

This doesn't seem any more simple than soldering the shield to the sleeve on each end and just wiring the ring of the TrS to the tip of the TS.  I must be missing something.  Wouldn't be the first time...   ::)

Travis_Valois

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »

TRS connector at guitar end: shield to sleeve, signal to ring

TS connector at guitar amp end: ground to sleeve, signal to tip

Make sure to label the cable ends very well as to which end goes where and a label stating what purpose the cable is for.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 12:54:53 AM »

This doesn't seem any more simple than soldering the shield to the sleeve on each end and just wiring the ring of the TrS to the tip of the TS.  I must be missing something.  Wouldn't be the first time...   ::)

Thanks again!

Josh

Given that you're using a guitar with the two pickups live, I would think you'd want the flexibility of having both your under-saddle and the contact pickup going to DI's and then to FOH to mix - depending on the room, they may find a better sound from the blend of the two. They may appreciate the option.

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 02:51:29 AM »

This is not two pickups wired together for mono output, but rather two pickups wired to a stereo jack allowing independent use.

You may try to get a normal insert cable and have both outputs availabe (TRS->2x TS; one TS is connected to Tip-Sleeve, the other to Ring-Sleeve).
Some of them have single cable for the larger part of the cable and have the Y almost at the end. Connect the Y end to 2 DIs, or an A-B switch.

Josh Duke

• Boston, MA
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 03:15:21 PM »

Given that you're using a guitar with the two pickups live, I would think you'd want the flexibility of having both your under-saddle and the contact pickup going to DI's and then to FOH to mix - depending on the room, they may find a better sound from the blend of the two. They may appreciate the option.

I have cables and preamps and blenders that allow me to run two pickups, separately EQd, and blended the way I like to a mono signal to the FOH, allow them a simple, quality signal to EQ to the room/mix.

What I am wanting, is a single, simple cable that allows me to show up with my guitar and a single cable, plug into any DI, and play.  The TRS-TS wired shield to shield and ring to tip will give me this (thanks to those who confirmed this for me).

The reason I want this, is because it is a no-fuss option.  My second pickup sounds better than the one that came with the guitar.  It is also a very high output passive system.  This allows me to not worry about batteries dying.  It is just a cable that will give the option to go simple and sound good all at the same time.

Josh Duke

• Boston, MA
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »

This is not two pickups wired together for mono output, but rather two pickups wired to a stereo jack allowing independent use.

You may try to get a normal insert cable and have both outputs availabe (TRS->2x TS; one TS is connected to Tip-Sleeve, the other to Ring-Sleeve).
Some of them have single cable for the larger part of the cable and have the Y almost at the end. Connect the Y end to 2 DIs, or an A-B switch.

I don't need or want an insert cable.  I want a cable that is SIMPLE and accesses ONLY the pickup wired to ring.  The first pickup is factory installed in my Martin and I want to leave it intact so that I can still use it if I choose to.  I installed the second pickup to use as a primary source, as well as to be used if I choose to blend it with the first pickup.

I appreciate all the suggestions on how to use my guitar's pickup systems.  However, they solutions to a problem that doesn't exist.  I was merely asking if the wiring I had in mind for the cable I need was correct.  That question has been answered.

Thanks all.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.