ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic for contrabass  (Read 30412 times)

Mike Shaffer

Mic for contrabass
« on: March 10, 2007, 01:24:56 am »

Hi;

I am new to the board. I recently bought a Yamaha YPT-400 keyboard which I intend to put to use ministering in local nursing homes. I play keyboard and sax as well as sing. I am in the process of getting all the other equipment that I need for this project.

I picked up a Peavey XR600g powered mixer (6 channel plus "tape in" with twin 200W amps and very nice eq capability) which I intend to use for the KB and a couple of mics. I am fighting budget constraints but I want to get equipment that will allow me to do the best job that I can.

My voice is what I would call a contrabass. That is to say that I start to get nose bleeds as I approach middle C but I am comfortable a couple of octaves below that. I am not in "The cathedrals" class but no one ever accused me of being a baritone. Wink My tone quality tends toward broad resonance rather than gravel at least until I get to the extremes of range. My falsetto is usable up to about the F above middle C.

Since I will be working off a boom at the kbd most of the time I want a mic that can handle a little bit of movement and doesn't require that I swallow it. I also want an extended but smooth frequency response that is not hyper sensitive to possition WRT tone quality.

I have done some research and it looks to me like the SM/PG58 is not really suited to my situation. The 57 maybe somewhat better but what really looks good to me right now is the Sennheiser E835. The specs and curves look good to me and the comments I have seen have been pretty favorable esp. WRT flexibility.  ZZ sounds has the mic with cable and boom stand for $120 which is about the right price range. Some of the mics in the $60-$80 tempted me for a while but it really looks like I would give up a lot in tonality to save just $20 or so.

I looked at headset mics too but the only affordable one I saw was an AT unit that looked pretty poor with very little below the soprano range and a wildly rising top end.

So what do you think? Am I on the right track? Other options that I should consider? E815 would be a big strp down wouldn't it?

mike

ProSoundWeb Community

Mic for contrabass
« on: March 10, 2007, 01:24:56 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 23 queries.